Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (303 total)

A fossil of the ulna bone found off wood port rd during the route 15 construction.

This is a view of Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home (center of the picture) in New Jersey from present-day Cooper Road. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or…

This is a photograph taken by J. Percy Crayon from an area of Denville formerly known as Pigeon Hill. It was taken outside of William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

The Memorial Stone resting on top of William Winds grave in the graveyard at the First Presbyterian Church in Rockaway, NJ. Worn due to weathering, the text was preserved in 1958 by Kensley Robert Thompson as a black wax rubbing which is on display…

This photograph was taken at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack during a sporting event. Men and women are standing in the infield of the track and there are people on bicycles or motorcycles closer to the center of the infield.

This is a drawing of the location of the Ho-Ho-Kus Golf Course and the approximate layout of nine hole course.

The Proprietary House served as the royal governor's home from 1764 through 1776. It was constructed by architect John Edward Pryor and first served as the home to Royal Governor Chief Justice Smyth. It was also the home of the last royal governor,…

Proposed plan of attack on Fort Ticonderoga. The map also includes an index to military positions.

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a black and white photograph of the Zabriskie house from around the year 1910. From 1906 to 1917 Paddy Burke owned the building and ran it as an inn.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

This is a photograph of the Sylvan Lake Hotel. This three story building located near the original train station at the top of Hollywood Avenue, was a hotel used by vacationers. This was also the original meeting house of the Ridgewood Free Masons.…

This is a drawing of Ho-Ho-Kus as it appeared in 1876. It includes the names of land owners, large building names, the placement of the Railroad and Sylvan Lake.

Pictures of the monument dedicated to the memorialization of Camp Merritt, The first major mobilization point for US soldiers in World War I.

In this photograph is one single car on the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In the background you see the part of the grandstand and structure where officials sat so they were able to better call the race.

This is a photograph of a horse race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The track was established in the early 1870's and continued to operate through until 1938. In 1912 the track started primarily featuring automobile races.

This is a photograph of an early trolley that passed through Ho-Ho-Kus. The trolley was operated by the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. which ran from 190 to 1929. The photograph is labeled 1910.

This is a photograph of a race that took place at a 1910 Horse Show at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In this picture, you are able to see the style of dress from the time period, some of the horses running, part of the grandstand and the official's…

In this photograph are four men with their horses at a horse show in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. Behind the men you see a structure that was probably used for the officials who called the race winners. The photograph is dated 1910.

This is a clipping of the July 5, 1935 New York Times article, "Flying Auto Wheel Kills Boy at Race." At the Ho-Ho-Kus 4th of July Celebration, a twelve year old boy from Fair Lawn, N.J. was killed by a rogue wheel that detached from a racing car's…

This is a clipping from the July 5, 1938 article from the New York Times. The event was a 4th of July celebration. This was the final race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack and the final accident that led to the eventual closing of the Racetrack.

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century. The house is a Tudor Revival and was constructed in 1895.

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century. The home was purchased by Wilson in 1889. The home was constructed in 1836 and is a Tudor Revival.

Noon Day Rest depicts soliders waiting by for their next orders. The background and painted as though it is in a far distance, is an eastern landscape. It is unclear if they are in the area of Morocoo or the Middle East.

Waiting for Papa deoicts a women holding a child, staring out into the ocean. A seascape fills the background.

The Hobart art collection was given to the people of
the City of Paterson by Mrs. Garret Hobart in 1925
and is held in trust by the Paterson Library Board
of Trustees. This catalog of the Hobart exhibit was the first time the paintings were…

Oil on canvas painting depicting a rugged escarpment of rock (similar to Torn Mountain in Ramapo, New York). The
mountain is above a body of water and several deer are in the foreground; evergreens on left side of painting; signed in lower left, "J…

During the eighteenth century, the river valley and its inhabitants were the subject and inspiration of Washington Irving. By the nineteenth century, the area inspired the Hudson River School of landscape painting to draw in concepts of an American…

Greenwood Lake depicts a scene displaying a hazy sunset over the west shore of the lake and on right side is an island and on left side is a peninsula jutting out into the lake. The peninsula has trees in fall foliage and two human figures and a…

Storm King on the Hudson depicts a fall scene looking south or southwest; showing a sunset over sugged mountains on the right. The center of the painting shows a peninsula of land, forming a small cover and two human figures and grazing sheep.

This painting is entitled Greenwood Lake. It depicts a fall scene looking from a small inlet north into New York State with several cows in the foreground and blue sky with clouds. There are hills on both sides which are covered with fall foliage and…

An engraving of a mastodon tooth. The flat top of the tooth shows that the mastodon was a herbivore.

Evolutionary chary of mastodons to elephants. gives the various branches of evolution tot he most commonly known Mammuts.

The Ohberg Mastodon known as "Matilda" from Highland Lakes, NJ fully assembled. First discovered in 1954 when Gus Ohberg was expanding his pond. The line operator Archibald McMurty thought he had found a log. When a similar log was brought up…

Picture of Gus Ohberg, a business man from Highland Lakes (Vernon), NJ, and the Mastodon skull found on his property while having his pond dredged for expansion. The full skeleton was exhumed from the pond and an extra bone.

Painting of a New Jersey Mastodon.

Wilbur Smith and Jules Marron examining Ribs that were dredged from the Hampton Township site.

Jules M. Marron and Denton J. Quick, freeholder, confirming the skull that was found at the Hampton township dig site.

This is a letter written by Brigadier General William Winds to Major General Philemon Dickinson during the final stages of preparation for the Battle of Monmouth during the American Revolution.

This is a response to General Winds' letter to Major General Philemon Dickinson of which Washington was sent a copy. Washington requests that Winds joins him near Middletown where the Battle of Monmouth would take place the following day.

Images of General William Winds' home as it stands today. It is now privately owned by the Cobb family. Most of the Winds house remains, but the Cobbs added a wraparound porch when they purchased it in 1908.

This document is included in Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, Series 1. Vol. VII. 1853-1855. The biography was read by Tuttle in front of the New Jersey Historical Society on May 19, 1853. The author painted a very complex image of…

This is a photograph taken inside General William Winds' home in the late nineteenth century. The photograph was probably taken by J. Percy Crayon, the owner of the house at the time. It includes a fireplace, several chairs, and tools.

Joseph Percy Crain (or Crane) was born in 1841, although it is uncertain where he was born. He moved to northern New Jersey at an early age and became a schoolteacher in the town of Rockaway (now - Denville) where he changed his last name to Crayon.…

This is the last will and testament from General William Winds. Winds was a soldier, judge, and Patriot. He was born on Long Island, but moved to Morris County, New Jersey sometime in his twenties. He bought a tract of land in present-day Denville…

This is a sketch of Rockaway from the Morris Canal in 1844. To the right is the First Presbyterian Church of Rockaway which was founded in 1752. The church's construction was funded by notable New Jerseyans including William Winds, a Revolutionary…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2