Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (303 total)

This is a portrait of the last royal governor of New Jersey - William Franklin. Franklin was the illegitimate son of Benjamin Franklin, but was a steadfast Loyalist until the conclusion of the American Revolution.

In January 1776, Governor…

The Proprietary House served as the royal governor's home from 1764 through 1776. It was constructed by architect John Edward Pryor and first served as the home to Royal Governor Chief Justice Smyth. It was also the home of the last royal governor,…

This is a newspaper announcement of the Stamp Act of 1765 which circulated around the colonies before the Revolution.

This is a map of Morris County from 1853. Note that the county only had 11 townships - Chester, Chatham, Hanover, Jefferson, Mendham, Morristown, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway, Roxbury, and Washington.

J. Percy Crayon was a schoolteacher and amateur historian from present-day Denville, New Jersey. In the late 19th century, he compiled a record of all the major founding families of Morris County. The book includes many important families,…

This is an advertisement for the four day long Bergen County Fair of 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. The fair will include a variety of races and is advertised to be the biggest event of the season.

This is a photograph of an advertisement for horse races in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ on May 30, 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. This particular event was part of a four day long celebration for Decoration Day.

This is the grave site of William Winds. Winds served the British Royal Army in the French and Indian War and took up the Patriots' cause in the American Revolution. He also served as a judge between wars and founded the First Presbyterian Church…

This is a map created for the Bergen County Tax Board in 1930. The map includes main streets such as Racetrack Road, Warren Boulevard, Sherwood Road, Elmwood Avenue and Franklin Turnpike. The map lists Samuel Nagle as the owner of the property…

This is an advertisement for the sale of the Sylvan Lake Hotel in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. which was located on the western shoreline of the Lake. The hotel was once a place for tourists and visitors to stay overnight and the original meeting place of the…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

This is a photograph of one of the mills that was once located in Ho-Ho-Kus along the brook. It is not specified which mill is in the photograph but it could be any one of the following: Rosencrantz Cotton Mill, Brookdale Bleachery, the Paper Mill…

Attached is a blue print of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Line Co. Headquarters. The drawing gives the reader a good idea of how the trolley lines operated. The Bergen County trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929. The Public…

The Trenton House Hotel was constructed as a brick private residence in 1780. The structure was transformed in 1824 into a hotel with Georgian style architecture. Located in Trenton at 20-24 North Warren Street and 1-19 East Hanover Street the…

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century.

When the Senate rejected the Versailles Treaty in 1919, the United States technically remained at war. On July 2, 1921 President Warren G. Harding signed a separate peace with Germany. The treaty was signed by Harding at the estate of Joseph S.…

Now part of Monmouth University since 1956 and known as Woodrow Wilson Hall, this structure was originally known as “Shadow Lawn.” President Wilson stayed here during his campaign in the summer of 1916. The original structure was built on Joseph…

Created by Gutzon Borglum, the same artist and sculptor as Mount Rushmore, “Seated Lincoln” is a sculpture made of bronze. The piece shows Abraham Lincoln seated on a bench. Abraham Lincoln passed through Newark on February 21, 1861 en route to…

Located on the grounds of Princeton University, President Woodrow Wilson lived here while President of Princeton University. This Italianate Victorian mansion was built by architect John Notman in 1850. From 1879 until 1968 the building served as…

The last existing piece from the U.S.S. Princeton hangs from a wooden frame in front of the Princeton Borough Hall. On February 28, 1844 President John Tyler and other dignitaries were onboard while the ship was sailing on the Potomac River in…

Designed by Frederick MacMonnies and made from stone, this monument is located on park property at the intersection of Stockton Street and Bayard Street. Commemorating the Battle of Princeton on January 3, 1777, it depicts George Washington on his…

By the spring of 1899, Vice President Garret Hobart was ill with cardiac illness. He needed to recuperate and so he retreated to his birthplace at the shore in Long Branch. There he was visited by President William McKinley. Hobart succumbed to heart…

After his second term as President, Grover Cleveland purchased a house in Princeton in 1896. It was built by Robert F. Stockton in 1854 and is covered in yellow painted stucco. The home was referred to as “Westland Mansion” in honor of a friend…

The 22nd and 24th President was born on March 18, 1837 in a modest construction of Federal and Greek architecture. Built in 1832, the house was the residence of a local Presbyterian minister. The Cleveland family resided in the home for nearly a…

Built by actor Oliver Byron was a small structure made out of railroad ties. The ties were from the track laid for President Garfield’s trip from Elberon Train Station to a shore cottage after he was shot by Charles Guiteau. The teahouse now sits…

This Georgian style home built in the early 1770s in Morristown was owned by Jacob Ford Jr., an American Revolutionary militia officer. After his death, his widow, Theodosia, gave permission for George Washington to use the home as his headquarters…

Built by the mayor of “Elizabethtown” in 1750, Boxwood Hall was home to patriot and lawyer Elias Boudinot. On the way to New York City for his inauguration in 1789, President-elect George Washington stopped at the house. Other notable visitors…

This letter and general orders were written at the Van Allen House when George Washington and his army stayed there on July 14-15, 1777. These were written by George Washington.

The first one is a letter from Washington to the president of the…

This is a small example of one of the methods colonial girls were taught their ABCs. Colonial girls would take a piece of cloth and cross-stitch letters into it. This was a sort-of alphabet book. Girls were not expected to go to school and, given…

These five photos show the Van Allen House as it was in the early 20th century when it was called Vygeberg Farm, or Page Farm. The farm was owned by Edward Day Page who used it to make dairy products.

On the top left and top right are pictures…

This painting was done by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, an American painter from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. He was well known for a series of 78 historical paintings that portrayed the narrative of America from Christopher Columbus…

These two photos feature Robert Allen, who lived in the Van Allen House from 1936-1938 with his family. They left to go to Sussex County in New Jersey because the father found a job there. His mother, Dorothy Van Allen, was related to the Van Allen…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This is a photograph of downtown Ho-Ho-Kus; the time of the photograph is unknown. The pharmacy shown in the picture stands where the Miniature Golf Course was once located.

This is a picture that accompanied an article about the major flooding that occurred in late September to October of 1882 that led to the final destruction of the Zabriskie Dam and Sylvan Lake. During this flood at least five mill dams burst along…

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a photograph of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. headquarters located in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. When it was first built, this was the largest building in town. The trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929 allowing customers to…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

This picture shows the tools and the house that once belonged to Jno Mandigo, a blacksmith and farmer who lived in Oakland from 1822 to 1894. His home was at 266 Ramapo Valley Road. Jno was one of four blacksmiths who had a shop on Ramapo Valley…

The North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. Trolley car is depicted passing through Main St. in Allendale, N.J. on the same line that ran through Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J.

These newspaper clippings are from the October 7, 1882 edition of Harper's Weekly. The included photograph is of the front page of the Harper's Weekly edition about the flooding at Passaic Falls which caused many dams in Bergen County, including the…

In this photo you see the corner of a street. The lawn that you see is said to be the miniature golf course that once existed in the area that is present-day downtown Ho-Ho-Kus. The Miniature Golf Course operated between 1890 and 1901. The nearby…

This photograph is of Franklin Tpke., a County Road, and the Mansion House. The Mansion House was a property rented by Charles Estephes. This was a popular hang out spot in the 1890's since it was located near the Ho-Ho-Kus Brooke and the center of…

This is a news article that appeared on February 6, 1974 in the Suburban News that discusses the plan to renovate the Van Allen House. Along with the article is a medal commemorating the Oakland Historical Society's President at that time, Roy…

This is the wedding photo of Mary Post Van Houten and Henry B. Demarest. The picture was taken in Paterson, New Jersey. This is one of the earliest examples of photography. The technique used at the time was called Daguerreotype, named after…

This painting shows the Lauzon Legion with the Rhode Island Regiment on Route 202 and Franklin Avenue in Oakland, New Jersey on August 25, 1781. Their job was to guard George Washington's 2nd Division as they traveled from Hudson South to Yorktown,…

This typewriter belonged to Sidney Kingsley, a dramatist. Some of the plays he wrote include "Dead End," "Detective Story," "Men in White," and others. His first Broadway play, "Men in White," won him a Pulitzer. He and his wife, actress Madge…

This 40 Cal. Double Barreled Derringer was found by Thomas McCaffrey on his bungalow on Bailey Ave, in Oakland, New Jersey. This gun comes from the 1840s and is hand-made with parts unique to the gun. It was never mass-produced. The term derringer…

This photo shows what the inside of a Colonial Era wall looked like. The wall was made with clay, straw and rough Blaster backed together with horse hair or pig bristle. It was then finished with plaster that was made from local lime stone with…

These three pictures show an inquisition document made in Bergen County, New Jersey on January 13th, 1779. The document talks about a case against a John Demot (Demott) who joined the British Army in 1776 or 1777, and was found guilty. The paper…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2