Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (16 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Bergen County (N.J.) "

This is a photograph of the Sylvan Lake Hotel. This three story building located near the original train station at the top of Hollywood Avenue, was a hotel used by vacationers. This was also the original meeting house of the Ridgewood Free Masons.…

This is a drawing of Ho-Ho-Kus as it appeared in 1876. It includes the names of land owners, large building names, the placement of the Railroad and Sylvan Lake.

This is a photograph of an early trolley that passed through Ho-Ho-Kus. The trolley was operated by the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. which ran from 190 to 1929. The photograph is labeled 1910.

This is a clipping of the July 5, 1935 New York Times article, "Flying Auto Wheel Kills Boy at Race." At the Ho-Ho-Kus 4th of July Celebration, a twelve year old boy from Fair Lawn, N.J. was killed by a rogue wheel that detached from a racing car's…

This is a photograph of one of the mills that was once located in Ho-Ho-Kus along the brook. It is not specified which mill is in the photograph but it could be any one of the following: Rosencrantz Cotton Mill, Brookdale Bleachery, the Paper Mill…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This is a photograph of downtown Ho-Ho-Kus; the time of the photograph is unknown. The pharmacy shown in the picture stands where the Miniature Golf Course was once located.

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a photograph of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. headquarters located in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. When it was first built, this was the largest building in town. The trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929 allowing customers to…

These newspaper clippings are from the October 7, 1882 edition of Harper's Weekly. The included photograph is of the front page of the Harper's Weekly edition about the flooding at Passaic Falls which caused many dams in Bergen County, including the…

This is a picture of the present day Right of Way path that was once where the trolley tracks were located, specifically the area that is not covered in snow is likely exactly where the tracks were. The trolley stopped in East Paterson (Elmwood…

The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn was originally owned by J.J. Zabriskie. Historians believe portions of the building were constructed before the Revolutionary War. The Inn has been open since 1790 as a bed and breakfast and is currently a five-star restaurant. …

This is a picture of the remains of the Zabriskie Dam. The dam allowed local industrial factories to harness power from the running river and it also created Sylvan Lake, a tourist attraction. John Zabriskie used brownstone to create a 50 foot high…

This is a photograph from one of the many automobile races held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The Track started racing automobiles in 1912. Races had become an attraction for the communities surrounding Ho-Ho-Kus and the track was the location for…

This photograph depicts one of the horse races at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack; the Grand Stand and Clubhouse for the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club are shown on the perimeter of the track. The Racetrack featured horse races from the time it was built in the…

These two photos show the exterior of the Van Allen House, one of Oakland’s oldest surviving buildings. Originally built in the 1740s by Henry Van Allen, the house received modifications to it when Edward Day Page brought the house in the late…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2