Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (26 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Ho-Ho-Kus (N.J.) "

This is a drawing of the location of the Ho-Ho-Kus Golf Course and the approximate layout of nine hole course.

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a black and white photograph of the Zabriskie house from around the year 1910. From 1906 to 1917 Paddy Burke owned the building and ran it as an inn.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

In this photograph is one single car on the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In the background you see the part of the grandstand and structure where officials sat so they were able to better call the race.

This is a photograph of a horse race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The track was established in the early 1870's and continued to operate through until 1938. In 1912 the track started primarily featuring automobile races.

This is a photograph of a race that took place at a 1910 Horse Show at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In this picture, you are able to see the style of dress from the time period, some of the horses running, part of the grandstand and the official's…

In this photograph are four men with their horses at a horse show in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. Behind the men you see a structure that was probably used for the officials who called the race winners. The photograph is dated 1910.

This is a photograph of an advertisement for horse races in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ on May 30, 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. This particular event was part of a four day long celebration for Decoration Day.

This is an advertisement for the sale of the Sylvan Lake Hotel in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. which was located on the western shoreline of the Lake. The hotel was once a place for tourists and visitors to stay overnight and the original meeting place of the…

This is a photograph of one of the mills that was once located in Ho-Ho-Kus along the brook. It is not specified which mill is in the photograph but it could be any one of the following: Rosencrantz Cotton Mill, Brookdale Bleachery, the Paper Mill…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This is a photograph of downtown Ho-Ho-Kus; the time of the photograph is unknown. The pharmacy shown in the picture stands where the Miniature Golf Course was once located.

This is a picture that accompanied an article about the major flooding that occurred in late September to October of 1882 that led to the final destruction of the Zabriskie Dam and Sylvan Lake. During this flood at least five mill dams burst along…

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

The North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. Trolley car is depicted passing through Main St. in Allendale, N.J. on the same line that ran through Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J.

In this photo you see the corner of a street. The lawn that you see is said to be the miniature golf course that once existed in the area that is present-day downtown Ho-Ho-Kus. The Miniature Golf Course operated between 1890 and 1901. The nearby…

This is a picture of the present day Right of Way path that was once where the trolley tracks were located, specifically the area that is not covered in snow is likely exactly where the tracks were. The trolley stopped in East Paterson (Elmwood…

The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn was originally owned by J.J. Zabriskie. Historians believe portions of the building were constructed before the Revolutionary War. The Inn has been open since 1790 as a bed and breakfast and is currently a five-star restaurant. …

This is a picture of the remains of the Zabriskie Dam. The dam allowed local industrial factories to harness power from the running river and it also created Sylvan Lake, a tourist attraction. John Zabriskie used brownstone to create a 50 foot high…

This is a photograph from one of the many automobile races held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The Track started racing automobiles in 1912. Races had become an attraction for the communities surrounding Ho-Ho-Kus and the track was the location for…

This photograph depicts one of the horse races at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack; the Grand Stand and Clubhouse for the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club are shown on the perimeter of the track. The Racetrack featured horse races from the time it was built in the…

This map was created for tax purposes. The land bordering Ridgewood and Ho-Ho-Kus, then called Orvil, was being sold by Richard W. Buckley and bought by J.L. Vansant. This is the first of two maps showing the land being transferred. The map also…

This is a copy of one page from the Ho-Ho-Kus tax records of 1939. This list includes land owners: New Jersey Bell Telephone Co., Postal Telegraph Co., Western Union Telegraph Co., O'Mealia Outdoor Advertising Co., Ho-Ho-Kus Paint House Co.,…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2