Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (81 total)

This is a view of Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home (center of the picture) in New Jersey from present-day Cooper Road. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or…

This is a photograph taken by J. Percy Crayon from an area of Denville formerly known as Pigeon Hill. It was taken outside of William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

This is a drawing of the location of the Ho-Ho-Kus Golf Course and the approximate layout of nine hole course.

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

This is a photograph of the Sylvan Lake Hotel. This three story building located near the original train station at the top of Hollywood Avenue, was a hotel used by vacationers. This was also the original meeting house of the Ridgewood Free Masons.…

This is a photograph of a horse race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The track was established in the early 1870's and continued to operate through until 1938. In 1912 the track started primarily featuring automobile races.

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century. The house is a Tudor Revival and was constructed in 1895.

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century. The home was purchased by Wilson in 1889. The home was constructed in 1836 and is a Tudor Revival.

Noon Day Rest depicts soliders waiting by for their next orders. The background and painted as though it is in a far distance, is an eastern landscape. It is unclear if they are in the area of Morocoo or the Middle East.

Waiting for Papa deoicts a women holding a child, staring out into the ocean. A seascape fills the background.

Oil on canvas painting depicting a rugged escarpment of rock (similar to Torn Mountain in Ramapo, New York). The
mountain is above a body of water and several deer are in the foreground; evergreens on left side of painting; signed in lower left, "J…

During the eighteenth century, the river valley and its inhabitants were the subject and inspiration of Washington Irving. By the nineteenth century, the area inspired the Hudson River School of landscape painting to draw in concepts of an American…

Greenwood Lake depicts a scene displaying a hazy sunset over the west shore of the lake and on right side is an island and on left side is a peninsula jutting out into the lake. The peninsula has trees in fall foliage and two human figures and a…

Storm King on the Hudson depicts a fall scene looking south or southwest; showing a sunset over sugged mountains on the right. The center of the painting shows a peninsula of land, forming a small cover and two human figures and grazing sheep.

This painting is entitled Greenwood Lake. It depicts a fall scene looking from a small inlet north into New York State with several cows in the foreground and blue sky with clouds. There are hills on both sides which are covered with fall foliage and…

This document is included in Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, Series 1. Vol. VII. 1853-1855. The biography was read by Tuttle in front of the New Jersey Historical Society on May 19, 1853. The author painted a very complex image of…

This is a photograph taken inside General William Winds' home in the late nineteenth century. The photograph was probably taken by J. Percy Crayon, the owner of the house at the time. It includes a fireplace, several chairs, and tools.

This is a map of Morris County from 1853. Note that the county only had 11 townships - Chester, Chatham, Hanover, Jefferson, Mendham, Morristown, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway, Roxbury, and Washington.

This is an advertisement for the four day long Bergen County Fair of 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. The fair will include a variety of races and is advertised to be the biggest event of the season.

This is a photograph of an advertisement for horse races in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ on May 30, 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. This particular event was part of a four day long celebration for Decoration Day.

This is an advertisement for the sale of the Sylvan Lake Hotel in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. which was located on the western shoreline of the Lake. The hotel was once a place for tourists and visitors to stay overnight and the original meeting place of the…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

The Trenton House Hotel was constructed as a brick private residence in 1780. The structure was transformed in 1824 into a hotel with Georgian style architecture. Located in Trenton at 20-24 North Warren Street and 1-19 East Hanover Street the…

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century.

The last existing piece from the U.S.S. Princeton hangs from a wooden frame in front of the Princeton Borough Hall. On February 28, 1844 President John Tyler and other dignitaries were onboard while the ship was sailing on the Potomac River in…

By the spring of 1899, Vice President Garret Hobart was ill with cardiac illness. He needed to recuperate and so he retreated to his birthplace at the shore in Long Branch. There he was visited by President William McKinley. Hobart succumbed to heart…

After his second term as President, Grover Cleveland purchased a house in Princeton in 1896. It was built by Robert F. Stockton in 1854 and is covered in yellow painted stucco. The home was referred to as “Westland Mansion” in honor of a friend…

The 22nd and 24th President was born on March 18, 1837 in a modest construction of Federal and Greek architecture. Built in 1832, the house was the residence of a local Presbyterian minister. The Cleveland family resided in the home for nearly a…

Built by actor Oliver Byron was a small structure made out of railroad ties. The ties were from the track laid for President Garfield’s trip from Elberon Train Station to a shore cottage after he was shot by Charles Guiteau. The teahouse now sits…

These five photos show the Van Allen House as it was in the early 20th century when it was called Vygeberg Farm, or Page Farm. The farm was owned by Edward Day Page who used it to make dairy products.

On the top left and top right are pictures…

This painting was done by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, an American painter from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. He was well known for a series of 78 historical paintings that portrayed the narrative of America from Christopher Columbus…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This is a picture that accompanied an article about the major flooding that occurred in late September to October of 1882 that led to the final destruction of the Zabriskie Dam and Sylvan Lake. During this flood at least five mill dams burst along…

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

This picture shows the tools and the house that once belonged to Jno Mandigo, a blacksmith and farmer who lived in Oakland from 1822 to 1894. His home was at 266 Ramapo Valley Road. Jno was one of four blacksmiths who had a shop on Ramapo Valley…

In this photo you see the corner of a street. The lawn that you see is said to be the miniature golf course that once existed in the area that is present-day downtown Ho-Ho-Kus. The Miniature Golf Course operated between 1890 and 1901. The nearby…

This is the wedding photo of Mary Post Van Houten and Henry B. Demarest. The picture was taken in Paterson, New Jersey. This is one of the earliest examples of photography. The technique used at the time was called Daguerreotype, named after…

This 40 Cal. Double Barreled Derringer was found by Thomas McCaffrey on his bungalow on Bailey Ave, in Oakland, New Jersey. This gun comes from the 1840s and is hand-made with parts unique to the gun. It was never mass-produced. The term derringer…

Here is a picture of Henry R. Hopper: Oakland’s last blacksmith, and a picture of his tools with a smaller picture of himself in the center of the piece of wood that holds the tools. His father and two older brothers were also blacksmiths, so…

This wallpaper was removed from the walls of the Van Allen House in 1976 when the house was undergoing evaluation to see if it could be restored. The wallpaper comes from the 1890s.

This is a picture of the portrait of Harry Gale McNomee with his mother, Cora L. McNomee. Harry was born in 1883, so the portrait was made when he was one year old. Mr. McNomee’s biggest contribution to the town of Oakland was in the role of fire…

The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn was originally owned by J.J. Zabriskie. Historians believe portions of the building were constructed before the Revolutionary War. The Inn has been open since 1790 as a bed and breakfast and is currently a five-star restaurant. …

This is a picture of the remains of the Zabriskie Dam. The dam allowed local industrial factories to harness power from the running river and it also created Sylvan Lake, a tourist attraction. John Zabriskie used brownstone to create a 50 foot high…

This is a photograph from one of the many automobile races held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The Track started racing automobiles in 1912. Races had become an attraction for the communities surrounding Ho-Ho-Kus and the track was the location for…

This photograph depicts one of the horse races at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack; the Grand Stand and Clubhouse for the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club are shown on the perimeter of the track. The Racetrack featured horse races from the time it was built in the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2