Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (81 total)

This 40 Cal. Double Barreled Derringer was found by Thomas McCaffrey on his bungalow on Bailey Ave, in Oakland, New Jersey. This gun comes from the 1840s and is hand-made with parts unique to the gun. It was never mass-produced. The term derringer…

A Rocky Coast (1867) is characteristic of Richards’s ability to work with watercolors and oil to create a compelling view of gentle rolling waves. The sunlight that touches the waves gives a sense of liveliness to the painting.

Advertisement from Danforth Locomotive and Machine Company in Paterson, New Jersey. During the Industrial Revolution, Paterson, New Jersey had many companies that manufactured locomotive parts. Danforth Locomotive and Machine Company was a major…

In Arab Scene, Weeks used a remarkable skill for rendering scenes from classical antiquity by using subtle details. Weeks’s focus in Arab Scene was the daily life of his travels to Morocco. Weeks’s concentration on everyday life was…

This is a photograph from one of the many automobile races held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The Track started racing automobiles in 1912. Races had become an attraction for the communities surrounding Ho-Ho-Kus and the track was the location for…

This painting was done by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, an American painter from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. He was well known for a series of 78 historical paintings that portrayed the narrative of America from Christopher Columbus…

The last existing piece from the U.S.S. Princeton hangs from a wooden frame in front of the Princeton Borough Hall. On February 28, 1844 President John Tyler and other dignitaries were onboard while the ship was sailing on the Potomac River in…

This document is included in Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, Series 1. Vol. VII. 1853-1855. The biography was read by Tuttle in front of the New Jersey Historical Society on May 19, 1853. The author painted a very complex image of…

Located in Long Branch, this is the only building associated with seven United States Presidents as their place of worship. Most popular during the Gilded Age, Presidents Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Chester A. Arthur,…

This is an image of the Colt Mansion taken from St. John's Cathedral in the mid 1800s. This property was located on Colt's Hill near Ward Street. It was torn down in 1891 to make room for the development of the city of Paterson.

The Chester Railroad Company was critical to the expansion of the iron industry in Chester. Stations such as this afforded both experienced and novice miners easy access to the thirty eight mines opened in the area.

Built by actor Oliver Byron was a small structure made out of railroad ties. The ties were from the track laid for President Garfield’s trip from Elberon Train Station to a shore cottage after he was shot by Charles Guiteau. The teahouse now sits…

Cedar Lawn Cemetery in Paterson is the final resting place of Garret Hobart, Vice President of the United States under William McKinley. The Grecian Doric style mausoleum was created by architect Henry Bacon Jr. 1866-1924 who is responsible for…

Daniel Budd and his family were instrumental to the growth of the iron industry in Chester. He not only owned a forge in nearby Hackelbarney, but he was also president of the Chester Railraod.

This painting is entitled Greenwood Lake. It depicts a fall scene looking from a small inlet north into New York State with several cows in the foreground and blue sky with clouds. There are hills on both sides which are covered with fall foliage and…

Greenwood Lake depicts a scene displaying a hazy sunset over the west shore of the lake and on right side is an island and on left side is a peninsula jutting out into the lake. The peninsula has trees in fall foliage and two human figures and a…

The 22nd and 24th President was born on March 18, 1837 in a modest construction of Federal and Greek architecture. Built in 1832, the house was the residence of a local Presbyterian minister. The Cleveland family resided in the home for nearly a…

After his second term as President, Grover Cleveland purchased a house in Princeton in 1896. It was built by Robert F. Stockton in 1854 and is covered in yellow painted stucco. The home was referred to as “Westland Mansion” in honor of a friend…

This is a picture of the portrait of Harry Gale McNomee with his mother, Cora L. McNomee. Harry was born in 1883, so the portrait was made when he was one year old. Mr. McNomee’s biggest contribution to the town of Oakland was in the role of fire…

This is the Hinchlife Brewery located at Straight and Governor Streets next to the Erie Railroad. The brewery was owned by the Hinchliffe family for generations.

This is an advertisement for the four day long Bergen County Fair of 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. The fair will include a variety of races and is advertised to be the biggest event of the season.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

This is a picture that accompanied an article about the major flooding that occurred in late September to October of 1882 that led to the final destruction of the Zabriskie Dam and Sylvan Lake. During this flood at least five mill dams burst along…

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

In this photo you see the corner of a street. The lawn that you see is said to be the miniature golf course that once existed in the area that is present-day downtown Ho-Ho-Kus. The Miniature Golf Course operated between 1890 and 1901. The nearby…

This is a drawing of the location of the Ho-Ho-Kus Golf Course and the approximate layout of nine hole course.

This is a photograph of a horse race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The track was established in the early 1870's and continued to operate through until 1938. In 1912 the track started primarily featuring automobile races.

This photograph depicts one of the horse races at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack; the Grand Stand and Clubhouse for the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club are shown on the perimeter of the track. The Racetrack featured horse races from the time it was built in the…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

This picture shows the tools and the house that once belonged to Jno Mandigo, a blacksmith and farmer who lived in Oakland from 1822 to 1894. His home was at 266 Ramapo Valley Road. Jno was one of four blacksmiths who had a shop on Ramapo Valley…

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

This is a map of Morris County from 1853. Note that the county only had 11 townships - Chester, Chatham, Hanover, Jefferson, Mendham, Morristown, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway, Roxbury, and Washington.

This is a map of Paterson, New Jersey from 1871, It was done by J.H. Goetschius. Surveyor. It was published by Joseph E. Crowell & Co., 1871 & Co. under the authority of Board of Aldermen. During the latter part of the 1800s, silk production was the…

Marshland with figures clamming is representative of the “en plein air” (or in the open air) painting tradition. “En plein air” was characteristic of working in natural light and it became particularly important to the…

This is a photograph of an advertisement for horse races in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ on May 30, 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. This particular event was part of a four day long celebration for Decoration Day.

The Miller's House is an excellent example of what was known as a Patch House. With the influx of miners as more shafts were opened, housing needed to be quickly provided. Patch Houses received their names due to the fact that they were quickly…

Built in 1856, this building is the oldest Congregational church west of the Hudson River. The church's prior site was built in 1747 nearby.

This church not only served the Presbyterian community in Chester and Mendham, but also members from nearby Roxbury and Mt. Olive. Built in 1852, miners and farmers would have worshipped side by side at this location in the 1880's

The romanticism of the American landscape came with manifest destiny. Manifest destiny began with the purpose to redeem and remake the world in the image of America. Moonlight Scene at the Coast is representative of this movement and it highlights…

Metcalf’s landscapes were traditional renditions of peasant scenes, in the manner of Jean Millet (1814 – 1875). These works were characterized by visible, rapid brushstrokes which brought lightness to the composition. Moroccan Street…

Hill’s work was often driven by a vision resulting from his experiences with nature. Mountain and Waterfall along with much of Hill’s artwork, embodies the sublime character of the nineteenth-century American West and has become iconic of…

Noon Day Rest depicts soliders waiting by for their next orders. The background and painted as though it is in a far distance, is an eastern landscape. It is unclear if they are in the area of Morocoo or the Middle East.

Here is a picture of Henry R. Hopper: Oakland’s last blacksmith, and a picture of his tools with a smaller picture of himself in the center of the piece of wood that holds the tools. His father and two older brothers were also blacksmiths, so…

This is a portrait of Roswell L. Colt, son of Peter Colt. He was known as "the greatest of all colts." He was the Governor of the S.U.M. from 1814-1850.

Sarah Colt was Peter Colt's daughter. She opened one of the first Sunday Schools in the state of New Jersey, for the education of the children and children of those who worked in the factory.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2