Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (81 total)

This is a map of Paterson, New Jersey from 1871, It was done by J.H. Goetschius. Surveyor. It was published by Joseph E. Crowell & Co., 1871 & Co. under the authority of Board of Aldermen. During the latter part of the 1800s, silk production was the…

This topographical map was published before the Civil War. It's details were so extensive that it became the primary map used by New Jersey generals during the Civil War. It also provides an excellent snapshot of the locations of various roads and…

This is a view of City of Paterson, New Jersey in Passaic County from a perch at Reservoir Park.

Advertisement from Danforth Locomotive and Machine Company in Paterson, New Jersey. During the Industrial Revolution, Paterson, New Jersey had many companies that manufactured locomotive parts. Danforth Locomotive and Machine Company was a major…

This is an image of the Colt Mansion taken from St. John's Cathedral in the mid 1800s. This property was located on Colt's Hill near Ward Street. It was torn down in 1891 to make room for the development of the city of Paterson.

Built in 1856, this building is the oldest Congregational church west of the Hudson River. The church's prior site was built in 1747 nearby.

This church not only served the Presbyterian community in Chester and Mendham, but also members from nearby Roxbury and Mt. Olive. Built in 1852, miners and farmers would have worshipped side by side at this location in the 1880's

Daniel Budd and his family were instrumental to the growth of the iron industry in Chester. He not only owned a forge in nearby Hackelbarney, but he was also president of the Chester Railraod.

This snapshot of Chester circa 1880 provides a look at daily life at the time before the first mine shafts were opened. We clearly see Chester's importance as a travel hub, as the stagecoach is waiting to either take on or let off passengers at the…

Though the present building was constructed in 1826 by Nathan Cooper, milling flour on this site had been going on since 1760 when Isaiah Younglove set up his milling operation there. The Black River area was ideal for mills because of the large…

The Chester Furnace was the centerpiece of the iron mining industry in the area. Unlike other area furnaces, The Chester Furnace was state of the art. While other furnaces relied on charcoal, The Chester Furnace relied upon anthracite fuel, which…

The Miller's House is an excellent example of what was known as a Patch House. With the influx of miners as more shafts were opened, housing needed to be quickly provided. Patch Houses received their names due to the fact that they were quickly…

The Chester Railroad Company was critical to the expansion of the iron industry in Chester. Stations such as this afforded both experienced and novice miners easy access to the thirty eight mines opened in the area.

This is a portrait of Roswell L. Colt, son of Peter Colt. He was known as "the greatest of all colts." He was the Governor of the S.U.M. from 1814-1850.

Sarah Colt was Peter Colt's daughter. She opened one of the first Sunday Schools in the state of New Jersey, for the education of the children and children of those who worked in the factory.

This is the Hinchlife Brewery located at Straight and Governor Streets next to the Erie Railroad. The brewery was owned by the Hinchliffe family for generations.

Cedar Lawn Cemetery in Paterson is the final resting place of Garret Hobart, Vice President of the United States under William McKinley. The Grecian Doric style mausoleum was created by architect Henry Bacon Jr. 1866-1924 who is responsible for…

Marshland with figures clamming is representative of the “en plein air” (or in the open air) painting tradition. “En plein air” was characteristic of working in natural light and it became particularly important to the…

The romanticism of the American landscape came with manifest destiny. Manifest destiny began with the purpose to redeem and remake the world in the image of America. Moonlight Scene at the Coast is representative of this movement and it highlights…

Hill’s work was often driven by a vision resulting from his experiences with nature. Mountain and Waterfall along with much of Hill’s artwork, embodies the sublime character of the nineteenth-century American West and has become iconic of…

Sir Benjamin William Leader, like his contemporaries of the Hudson River School in America, created many open-air landscape paintings. After a traveling expedition to Scotland and Wales, Leader began depicting mountain and river scenes. Wooded…

Metcalf’s landscapes were traditional renditions of peasant scenes, in the manner of Jean Millet (1814 – 1875). These works were characterized by visible, rapid brushstrokes which brought lightness to the composition. Moroccan Street…

A Rocky Coast (1867) is characteristic of Richards’s ability to work with watercolors and oil to create a compelling view of gentle rolling waves. The sunlight that touches the waves gives a sense of liveliness to the painting.

Van Elten's technique reflected the composed quality of Dutch compositions with the brilliant light and color of the Hudson River School, mixing traditional elements with a more contemporary style. Summer landscape with lake, cattle and figures is…

In Arab Scene, Weeks used a remarkable skill for rendering scenes from classical antiquity by using subtle details. Weeks’s focus in Arab Scene was the daily life of his travels to Morocco. Weeks’s concentration on everyday life was…

Born on October 15, 1847 in New York City, NY Ralph Blakelock belonged to an affluent family, as his father was a successful physician. In 1864, Blakelock began his studies in art at the Free Academy of the City of New York. After his third term,…

Located in Long Branch, this is the only building associated with seven United States Presidents as their place of worship. Most popular during the Gilded Age, Presidents Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Chester A. Arthur,…

For safety reasons, President Ulysses S. Grant’s wife and children resided at the house at 309 Wood Street in Burlington during the latter part of the Civil War. Built in 1856, it is currently a private residence.

This photograph depicts one of the horse races at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack; the Grand Stand and Clubhouse for the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club are shown on the perimeter of the track. The Racetrack featured horse races from the time it was built in the…

This is a photograph from one of the many automobile races held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The Track started racing automobiles in 1912. Races had become an attraction for the communities surrounding Ho-Ho-Kus and the track was the location for…

This is a picture of the remains of the Zabriskie Dam. The dam allowed local industrial factories to harness power from the running river and it also created Sylvan Lake, a tourist attraction. John Zabriskie used brownstone to create a 50 foot high…

The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn was originally owned by J.J. Zabriskie. Historians believe portions of the building were constructed before the Revolutionary War. The Inn has been open since 1790 as a bed and breakfast and is currently a five-star restaurant. …

This is a picture of the portrait of Harry Gale McNomee with his mother, Cora L. McNomee. Harry was born in 1883, so the portrait was made when he was one year old. Mr. McNomee’s biggest contribution to the town of Oakland was in the role of fire…

This wallpaper was removed from the walls of the Van Allen House in 1976 when the house was undergoing evaluation to see if it could be restored. The wallpaper comes from the 1890s.

Here is a picture of Henry R. Hopper: Oakland’s last blacksmith, and a picture of his tools with a smaller picture of himself in the center of the piece of wood that holds the tools. His father and two older brothers were also blacksmiths, so…

This 40 Cal. Double Barreled Derringer was found by Thomas McCaffrey on his bungalow on Bailey Ave, in Oakland, New Jersey. This gun comes from the 1840s and is hand-made with parts unique to the gun. It was never mass-produced. The term derringer…

This is the wedding photo of Mary Post Van Houten and Henry B. Demarest. The picture was taken in Paterson, New Jersey. This is one of the earliest examples of photography. The technique used at the time was called Daguerreotype, named after…

In this photo you see the corner of a street. The lawn that you see is said to be the miniature golf course that once existed in the area that is present-day downtown Ho-Ho-Kus. The Miniature Golf Course operated between 1890 and 1901. The nearby…

This picture shows the tools and the house that once belonged to Jno Mandigo, a blacksmith and farmer who lived in Oakland from 1822 to 1894. His home was at 266 Ramapo Valley Road. Jno was one of four blacksmiths who had a shop on Ramapo Valley…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a picture that accompanied an article about the major flooding that occurred in late September to October of 1882 that led to the final destruction of the Zabriskie Dam and Sylvan Lake. During this flood at least five mill dams burst along…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This painting was done by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, an American painter from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. He was well known for a series of 78 historical paintings that portrayed the narrative of America from Christopher Columbus…

These five photos show the Van Allen House as it was in the early 20th century when it was called Vygeberg Farm, or Page Farm. The farm was owned by Edward Day Page who used it to make dairy products.

On the top left and top right are pictures…

Built by actor Oliver Byron was a small structure made out of railroad ties. The ties were from the track laid for President Garfield’s trip from Elberon Train Station to a shore cottage after he was shot by Charles Guiteau. The teahouse now sits…

The 22nd and 24th President was born on March 18, 1837 in a modest construction of Federal and Greek architecture. Built in 1832, the house was the residence of a local Presbyterian minister. The Cleveland family resided in the home for nearly a…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2