Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (165 total)

This is a view of Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home (center of the picture) in New Jersey from present-day Cooper Road. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or…

This is a photograph taken by J. Percy Crayon from an area of Denville formerly known as Pigeon Hill. It was taken outside of William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

This photograph was taken at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack during a sporting event. Men and women are standing in the infield of the track and there are people on bicycles or motorcycles closer to the center of the infield.

This is a drawing of the location of the Ho-Ho-Kus Golf Course and the approximate layout of nine hole course.

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a black and white photograph of the Zabriskie house from around the year 1910. From 1906 to 1917 Paddy Burke owned the building and ran it as an inn.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

In this photograph is one single car on the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In the background you see the part of the grandstand and structure where officials sat so they were able to better call the race.

This is a photograph of a horse race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The track was established in the early 1870's and continued to operate through until 1938. In 1912 the track started primarily featuring automobile races.

This is a photograph of an early trolley that passed through Ho-Ho-Kus. The trolley was operated by the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. which ran from 190 to 1929. The photograph is labeled 1910.

This is a photograph of a race that took place at a 1910 Horse Show at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In this picture, you are able to see the style of dress from the time period, some of the horses running, part of the grandstand and the official's…

In this photograph are four men with their horses at a horse show in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. Behind the men you see a structure that was probably used for the officials who called the race winners. The photograph is dated 1910.

This is a clipping of the July 5, 1935 New York Times article, "Flying Auto Wheel Kills Boy at Race." At the Ho-Ho-Kus 4th of July Celebration, a twelve year old boy from Fair Lawn, N.J. was killed by a rogue wheel that detached from a racing car's…

This is a clipping from the July 5, 1938 article from the New York Times. The event was a 4th of July celebration. This was the final race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack and the final accident that led to the eventual closing of the Racetrack.

The Hobart art collection was given to the people of
the City of Paterson by Mrs. Garret Hobart in 1925
and is held in trust by the Paterson Library Board
of Trustees. This catalog of the Hobart exhibit was the first time the paintings were…

An engraving of a mastodon tooth. The flat top of the tooth shows that the mastodon was a herbivore.

Evolutionary chary of mastodons to elephants. gives the various branches of evolution tot he most commonly known Mammuts.

The Ohberg Mastodon known as "Matilda" from Highland Lakes, NJ fully assembled. First discovered in 1954 when Gus Ohberg was expanding his pond. The line operator Archibald McMurty thought he had found a log. When a similar log was brought up…

Picture of Gus Ohberg, a business man from Highland Lakes (Vernon), NJ, and the Mastodon skull found on his property while having his pond dredged for expansion. The full skeleton was exhumed from the pond and an extra bone.

Joseph Percy Crain (or Crane) was born in 1841, although it is uncertain where he was born. He moved to northern New Jersey at an early age and became a schoolteacher in the town of Rockaway (now - Denville) where he changed his last name to Crayon.…

J. Percy Crayon was a schoolteacher and amateur historian from present-day Denville, New Jersey. In the late 19th century, he compiled a record of all the major founding families of Morris County. The book includes many important families,…

This is a map created for the Bergen County Tax Board in 1930. The map includes main streets such as Racetrack Road, Warren Boulevard, Sherwood Road, Elmwood Avenue and Franklin Turnpike. The map lists Samuel Nagle as the owner of the property…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

This is a photograph of one of the mills that was once located in Ho-Ho-Kus along the brook. It is not specified which mill is in the photograph but it could be any one of the following: Rosencrantz Cotton Mill, Brookdale Bleachery, the Paper Mill…

Attached is a blue print of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Line Co. Headquarters. The drawing gives the reader a good idea of how the trolley lines operated. The Bergen County trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929. The Public…

When the Senate rejected the Versailles Treaty in 1919, the United States technically remained at war. On July 2, 1921 President Warren G. Harding signed a separate peace with Germany. The treaty was signed by Harding at the estate of Joseph S.…

Now part of Monmouth University since 1956 and known as Woodrow Wilson Hall, this structure was originally known as “Shadow Lawn.” President Wilson stayed here during his campaign in the summer of 1916. The original structure was built on Joseph…

Created by Gutzon Borglum, the same artist and sculptor as Mount Rushmore, “Seated Lincoln” is a sculpture made of bronze. The piece shows Abraham Lincoln seated on a bench. Abraham Lincoln passed through Newark on February 21, 1861 en route to…

Located on the grounds of Princeton University, President Woodrow Wilson lived here while President of Princeton University. This Italianate Victorian mansion was built by architect John Notman in 1850. From 1879 until 1968 the building served as…

Designed by Frederick MacMonnies and made from stone, this monument is located on park property at the intersection of Stockton Street and Bayard Street. Commemorating the Battle of Princeton on January 3, 1777, it depicts George Washington on his…

These five photos show the Van Allen House as it was in the early 20th century when it was called Vygeberg Farm, or Page Farm. The farm was owned by Edward Day Page who used it to make dairy products.

On the top left and top right are pictures…

This painting was done by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, an American painter from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. He was well known for a series of 78 historical paintings that portrayed the narrative of America from Christopher Columbus…

These two photos feature Robert Allen, who lived in the Van Allen House from 1936-1938 with his family. They left to go to Sussex County in New Jersey because the father found a job there. His mother, Dorothy Van Allen, was related to the Van Allen…

This is a photograph of downtown Ho-Ho-Kus; the time of the photograph is unknown. The pharmacy shown in the picture stands where the Miniature Golf Course was once located.

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a photograph of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. headquarters located in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. When it was first built, this was the largest building in town. The trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929 allowing customers to…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

The North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. Trolley car is depicted passing through Main St. in Allendale, N.J. on the same line that ran through Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J.

In this photo you see the corner of a street. The lawn that you see is said to be the miniature golf course that once existed in the area that is present-day downtown Ho-Ho-Kus. The Miniature Golf Course operated between 1890 and 1901. The nearby…

This photograph is of Franklin Tpke., a County Road, and the Mansion House. The Mansion House was a property rented by Charles Estephes. This was a popular hang out spot in the 1890's since it was located near the Ho-Ho-Kus Brooke and the center of…

This is a news article that appeared on February 6, 1974 in the Suburban News that discusses the plan to renovate the Van Allen House. Along with the article is a medal commemorating the Oakland Historical Society's President at that time, Roy…

This painting shows the Lauzon Legion with the Rhode Island Regiment on Route 202 and Franklin Avenue in Oakland, New Jersey on August 25, 1781. Their job was to guard George Washington's 2nd Division as they traveled from Hudson South to Yorktown,…

This typewriter belonged to Sidney Kingsley, a dramatist. Some of the plays he wrote include "Dead End," "Detective Story," "Men in White," and others. His first Broadway play, "Men in White," won him a Pulitzer. He and his wife, actress Madge…

Here is a picture of Henry R. Hopper: Oakland’s last blacksmith, and a picture of his tools with a smaller picture of himself in the center of the piece of wood that holds the tools. His father and two older brothers were also blacksmiths, so…

This is a post card made in 1911. Along with the post card there is a picture of the Van Allen House when it was the Vygeberg Farm. The post card was sent by a Miss D. B. Tracy to her daughter, Helen.

The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn was originally owned by J.J. Zabriskie. Historians believe portions of the building were constructed before the Revolutionary War. The Inn has been open since 1790 as a bed and breakfast and is currently a five-star restaurant. …

This is a picture of the remains of the Zabriskie Dam. The dam allowed local industrial factories to harness power from the running river and it also created Sylvan Lake, a tourist attraction. John Zabriskie used brownstone to create a 50 foot high…

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Hermitage. The estate was originally owned by James Laroe and purchased by Elijah Rosengrant, later to be changed to Rosencrantz, in 1807 for $1,325. The Rosencrantz house was donated to the state in 1971…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2