Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (46 total)

Images of General William Winds' home as it stands today. It is now privately owned by the Cobb family. Most of the Winds house remains, but the Cobbs added a wraparound porch when they purchased it in 1908.

This is a picture of the present day Right of Way path that was once where the trolley tracks were located, specifically the area that is not covered in snow is likely exactly where the tracks were. The trolley stopped in East Paterson (Elmwood…

This is a picture of the remains of the Zabriskie Dam. The dam allowed local industrial factories to harness power from the running river and it also created Sylvan Lake, a tourist attraction. John Zabriskie used brownstone to create a 50 foot high…

These two photos show the exterior of the Van Allen House, one of Oakland’s oldest surviving buildings. Originally built in the 1740s by Henry Van Allen, the house received modifications to it when Edward Day Page brought the house in the late…

This is the older building of today's of St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center on Main Street. The hospital is undergone a complete renovation and is still undergoing a $250 million expansion.

These are three of the four government buildings located on what is still referred to as Colt's Hill. The Post Office, now the Courthouse Annex, the original Passaic County Courthouse, and the Superior Court Building at 77 Hamilton Street. The newest…

This is the site of the Hinchliffe Brewery, located on Straight, Governor and Anne Streets. What is left of the original building is currently for sale.

This building was part of the Rogers Locomotive Complex. It is advertising Paterson's Silk Machinery Exchange. Over the course of Paterson's history, the mills and factories were occupied by various tenants at various times.

The S.U.M. Building at the Great Falls, which housed the Society for Establishing Useful Manufacturers.

This is an image of the Great Falls from the path off of Mary Ellen Kramer Park.

This is City National Bank on Springfield Avenue. In 1967, it was looted during the riots.

This area is now known for the community garden. In the 1960s, the area was known for its jewelry stores and banks.

This is Boyd Street in Newark. It once contained the Hayes Home Projects.

This is the 4th Precinct today. It is on 17th Street in Newark. This is where the riots began officially with the arrest of John Smith for tailgating.

This is what Jones Street and Springfield Avenue looks today. It originally had stores and was considered a continuation of Market Street. Today, it just has a bus stop.

This is the medical school known as UMDNJ. In the 1960s, it destroyed many homes to build the medical school.

This is Branford place and Broad Street . In the 1960s, there was a beauty school which was destroyed by a fire.

This church not only served the Presbyterian community in Chester and Mendham, but also members from nearby Roxbury and Mt. Olive. Built in 1852, miners and farmers would have worshipped side by side at this location in the 1880's

Built in 1856, this building is the oldest Congregational church west of the Hudson River. The church's prior site was built in 1747 nearby.

This factory has had several different owners over the decades. It began life in 1844 the Van Doren Brothers built threashing machines for the area farms. Mine baron Daniel Budd housed Davidson Manufacturing in this building after the Civil War. The…

The location of Howell's General store, which served the townspeople, farmers and miners alike, is today a convenience store.

This building was constructed in 1870 for town doctor Dr. Smith Hedges. It also contained a wallpaper and printing business owned by George Conover. Later in the 1880s the building also served as the town post office.

Commissioned in 1808, John Haines of Chester owned 10 shares in the company was was designated it's director. This was a major transportation artery in Northern New Jersey and vital to the growth of the agricultural communities and the mines.

Was known as The Brick Hotel in Chester's mining heyday and built in 1810. It was one of the earliest tavern/hotels in the area. The building was purchased by area mining greats Daniel Budd and Perry Skellenger, who wanted to build a school nearby.

This ore sample was extracted from the Swayze Mine in nearby Roxbury, New Jersey. It is yet another example of the different types of ore found in Northern New Jersey available to the miners of Chester

Track guage is defined as the amount of distance between two railroad rails. The train's gear, or undercarriage, must be a compatible width and wheel size. In May of 1886 the Pennsylvania Railroad and the southern railroads agreed upon a national…

This photograph was taken at the Passaic County Falls end of Hinchliffe Stadium in 2013, facing Public School #5 (visible in background).

The stadium was given federal landmark recognition several years ago. Last week, the Paterson Board of…

This is the former Hamilton Club location at Ellison and Church Streets in Paterson, 2013. The building is now used as the Poetry Center for Passaic County Community College and houses the college's art collection. It is also the home of the the…

This is the old Engine #1 firehouse located at 112 Van Houten Street, Paterson. It is currently used as the workshop for Greenbaum Interiors, a furniture store on the next corner at Washington Street.

This is the First Baptist Church of Paterson, located at the corner of Van Houten and Washington Streets. The original was destroyed completely by the Great Fire of 1902. This structure replaced it and still stands today.

The former First National Bank on Ellison Street in Paterson now houses city offices. Among these is the Paterson Historic Preservation Commission.

This is the intersection of Main Street and Ellison Street, Paterson, 2013. These buildings have stood since the turn of the 20th century.

This is the intersection of Main and Ward Streets, Center City Mall, Paterson. This is located at the top of the area known as Colt's Hill.

This is the former location of the Quackenbush Department Store on Main Street, Paterson. The property is now used by several businesses, including Bank of America.

This is a view of the Colt building from Market Street, Paterson, a beaux arts style and richly ornate building.

This is a view of East Railway Avenue in Paterson, 2013, looking towards Alabama Avenue. East Railway Avenue is the location of the Paterson Markets in the Lakeview Section. This photo was taken adjacent from the Giant Wholesale store.

This is a view of Alabama Avenue, Paterson, taken from in front of Nicholas Diner.

This is a photo of 111 Washington Street, formerly the Paterson Police Headquarters. The building is currently owned by Greenbaum Interiors. It has not been used since 1980 when it was destroyed by a fire. Ironically, the Paterson Police Complex is…

The Great Falls of Paterson, located on the Passaic River in Paterson, New Jersey, is 77 feet high, making it the second highest water fall in the Eastern U.S. after Niagara Falls. It was harnessed as a power source during Paterson's industrial…

This item is from the personal photo collect of T.Hamilton. It shows a rainbow over the Great Falls of Paterson, which is located on Garrett Mountain in Paterson, New Jersey. This waterfall powered many of the factories in Paterson during the…

Alexander Hamilton formed an investment group called the Society of Useful Manufacturers. Funds from this group were used to develop a planned industrial city in the United States, Paterson, New Jersey. Hamilton believed that the United States needed…

The Great Falls of the Passaic River is one of the largest U.S. waterfalls. It is 77 feet high and located on Paterson’s Passaic River. It became a National Historical Park in 2009. It played a significant role in the early industrial development…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2