Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (53 total)

This is a view of Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home (center of the picture) in New Jersey from present-day Cooper Road. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or…

This is a photograph taken by J. Percy Crayon from an area of Denville formerly known as Pigeon Hill. It was taken outside of William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

The Memorial Stone resting on top of William Winds grave in the graveyard at the First Presbyterian Church in Rockaway, NJ. Worn due to weathering, the text was preserved in 1958 by Kensley Robert Thompson as a black wax rubbing which is on display…

The Proprietary House served as the royal governor's home from 1764 through 1776. It was constructed by architect John Edward Pryor and first served as the home to Royal Governor Chief Justice Smyth. It was also the home of the last royal governor,…

Images of General William Winds' home as it stands today. It is now privately owned by the Cobb family. Most of the Winds house remains, but the Cobbs added a wraparound porch when they purchased it in 1908.

This is a photograph taken inside General William Winds' home in the late nineteenth century. The photograph was probably taken by J. Percy Crayon, the owner of the house at the time. It includes a fireplace, several chairs, and tools.

This is a sketch of Rockaway from the Morris Canal in 1844. To the right is the First Presbyterian Church of Rockaway which was founded in 1752. The church's construction was funded by notable New Jerseyans including William Winds, a Revolutionary…

The Proprietary House served as the royal governor's home from 1764 through 1776. It was constructed by architect John Edward Pryor and first served as the home to Royal Governor Chief Justice Smyth. It was also the home of the last royal governor,…

This is the grave site of William Winds. Winds served the British Royal Army in the French and Indian War and took up the Patriots' cause in the American Revolution. He also served as a judge between wars and founded the First Presbyterian Church…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

When the Senate rejected the Versailles Treaty in 1919, the United States technically remained at war. On July 2, 1921 President Warren G. Harding signed a separate peace with Germany. The treaty was signed by Harding at the estate of Joseph S.…

Now part of Monmouth University since 1956 and known as Woodrow Wilson Hall, this structure was originally known as “Shadow Lawn.” President Wilson stayed here during his campaign in the summer of 1916. The original structure was built on Joseph…

Created by Gutzon Borglum, the same artist and sculptor as Mount Rushmore, “Seated Lincoln” is a sculpture made of bronze. The piece shows Abraham Lincoln seated on a bench. Abraham Lincoln passed through Newark on February 21, 1861 en route to…

The last existing piece from the U.S.S. Princeton hangs from a wooden frame in front of the Princeton Borough Hall. On February 28, 1844 President John Tyler and other dignitaries were onboard while the ship was sailing on the Potomac River in…

Designed by Frederick MacMonnies and made from stone, this monument is located on park property at the intersection of Stockton Street and Bayard Street. Commemorating the Battle of Princeton on January 3, 1777, it depicts George Washington on his…

The 22nd and 24th President was born on March 18, 1837 in a modest construction of Federal and Greek architecture. Built in 1832, the house was the residence of a local Presbyterian minister. The Cleveland family resided in the home for nearly a…

This photo shows what the inside of a Colonial Era wall looked like. The wall was made with clay, straw and rough Blaster backed together with horse hair or pig bristle. It was then finished with plaster that was made from local lime stone with…

The Memorial Stone resting on top of William Winds grave in the graveyard at the First Presbyterian Church in Rockaway, NJ. Worn due to weathering, the text was preserved in 1958 by Kensley Robert Thompson as a black wax rubbing which is on display…

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Hermitage. The estate was originally owned by James Laroe and purchased by Elijah Rosengrant, later to be changed to Rosencrantz, in 1807 for $1,325. The Rosencrantz house was donated to the state in 1971…

Located in Long Branch, this is the only building associated with seven United States Presidents as their place of worship. Most popular during the Gilded Age, Presidents Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Chester A. Arthur,…

Grover Cleveland, the only United States President to hold office for two non-consecutive terms, is buried at Princeton Cemetery along with his wife Frances Folsom Cleveland. Ruth Cleveland, eldest of their five children, died of diphtheria at age…

The clock tower at the beginning of Broadway in Denville, NJ. It was built to commemorate Denville's centennial.

These two photos show the exterior of the Van Allen House, one of Oakland’s oldest surviving buildings. Originally built in the 1740s by Henry Van Allen, the house received modifications to it when Edward Day Page brought the house in the late…

Cedar Lawn Cemetery in Paterson is the final resting place of Garret Hobart, Vice President of the United States under William McKinley. The Grecian Doric style mausoleum was created by architect Henry Bacon Jr. 1866-1924 who is responsible for…

This is an image of Alexander Hamilton in front of the S.U.M. building at the Great Falls, overlooking the hydroelectric plant.

The Miller's House is an excellent example of what was known as a Patch House. With the influx of miners as more shafts were opened, housing needed to be quickly provided. Patch Houses received their names due to the fact that they were quickly…

This plaque was introduced by Cory Booker in 2007 to remember the 40th anniversary of the Newark riots. This is currently at the 4th Precinct on 17th Street.

Daniel Budd and his family were instrumental to the growth of the iron industry in Chester. He not only owned a forge in nearby Hackelbarney, but he was also president of the Chester Railraod.

The Hamilton Club was an exclusive gentlemen's club, co-founded by Vice President Garret Hobart in 1890. The building, an Italian Renaissance revival palazzo, was erected in 1897, severely damaged by the Great Fire of 1902, then completely restored…

This is the First Baptist Church of Paterson, located at the corner of Van Houten and Washington Streets. The original was destroyed completely by the Great Fire of 1902. This structure replaced it and still stands today.

The former First National Bank on Ellison Street in Paterson now houses city offices. Among these is the Paterson Historic Preservation Commission.

This is a photograph of First National Bank, Paterson, taken from Washington Street in 1925. The buildings visible from this angle still stand!
This image was also used as a postcard.

This is the intersection of Main Street and Ellison Street, Paterson, 2013. These buildings have stood since the turn of the 20th century.

These are buildings on Main Street at Ellison in Paterson, beginning at 202-204, heading north towards Smith Street.

This is an image of the Colt Mansion taken from St. John's Cathedral in the mid 1800s. This property was located on Colt's Hill near Ward Street. It was torn down in 1891 to make room for the development of the city of Paterson.

This is the former location of the Quackenbush Department Store on Main Street, Paterson. The property is now used by several businesses, including Bank of America.

Quackenbush Department Store was one of the two major department stores in Downtown Paterson. It's owner also owned one of Paterson's silk mills. The original location was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1902. This building was erected soon after, and…

This is a view of the Colt building from Market Street, Paterson, a beaux arts style and richly ornate building.

This is a view of City Hall, Paterson, from Colt Street and Market Streets.

City Hall was gutted by the Great Fire of February 9, 1902. The city lost almost all of its archives, including vital statistics of births, deaths, etc. This view was taken from the ruins of the Paterson National Bank, circa February 1902

This picture shows the housing that the Zinc Company of Franklin had established for its workers in Franklin,new Jersey. The housing was simple and functional but served the workers and their families. The base of these houses can still be seen in…

The image shows the booming tourism of Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1920. Advertisers started to promote and market their products on the boardwalk to increase popularity of their brand and products. Advertisers displayed in this image…

Photograph of unidentified group of men laying a wreath laying at an unidentified grave site in Woodstown, New Jersey. It may be the gravestone of Major Christian Piercy who died September 27, 1793 and located on a farm called Frank Horner's Farm.…

This is the gate at the entrance to Belle Vista, also known as Lambert Castle, in Paterson, New Jersey on Garrett Mountain. It is Medieval Revival architecture and was built in 1862. It was home of Catholina Lambert, the owner of a silk mill located…

Alexander Hamilton is often referred to as the "Founder of Paterson". It was he that first noticed the beauty and potential power of the Great Falls of Paterson and first conceived ideas to harness that power for industrial purposes. His likeness in…

A photograph taken by Clifton Adams of the Atlantic City Boardwalk to depict the pageantry of Atlantic City in a single picture. The Boardwalk was considered to be a "living, breathing catwalk" in the 1920s. Tourists and citizens of Atlantic City,…

Atlantic City Convention Hall or "Boardwalk Hall" was designed and built in 1926. It was home to the Miss America Pageant from 1926 to 2006. Atlantic City Convention Hall is a symbol of growth and prosperity for the city, during the Prohibition era…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2