Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (55 total)

This photograph was taken at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack during a sporting event. Men and women are standing in the infield of the track and there are people on bicycles or motorcycles closer to the center of the infield.

This is a drawing of the location of the Ho-Ho-Kus Golf Course and the approximate layout of nine hole course.

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a black and white photograph of the Zabriskie house from around the year 1910. From 1906 to 1917 Paddy Burke owned the building and ran it as an inn.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

This is a photograph of the Sylvan Lake Hotel. This three story building located near the original train station at the top of Hollywood Avenue, was a hotel used by vacationers. This was also the original meeting house of the Ridgewood Free Masons.…

This is a drawing of Ho-Ho-Kus as it appeared in 1876. It includes the names of land owners, large building names, the placement of the Railroad and Sylvan Lake.

In this photograph is one single car on the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In the background you see the part of the grandstand and structure where officials sat so they were able to better call the race.

This is a photograph of a horse race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The track was established in the early 1870's and continued to operate through until 1938. In 1912 the track started primarily featuring automobile races.

This is a photograph of an early trolley that passed through Ho-Ho-Kus. The trolley was operated by the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. which ran from 190 to 1929. The photograph is labeled 1910.

This is a photograph of a race that took place at a 1910 Horse Show at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In this picture, you are able to see the style of dress from the time period, some of the horses running, part of the grandstand and the official's…

In this photograph are four men with their horses at a horse show in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. Behind the men you see a structure that was probably used for the officials who called the race winners. The photograph is dated 1910.

This is a clipping of the July 5, 1935 New York Times article, "Flying Auto Wheel Kills Boy at Race." At the Ho-Ho-Kus 4th of July Celebration, a twelve year old boy from Fair Lawn, N.J. was killed by a rogue wheel that detached from a racing car's…

This is a clipping from the July 5, 1938 article from the New York Times. The event was a 4th of July celebration. This was the final race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack and the final accident that led to the eventual closing of the Racetrack.

This is an advertisement for the four day long Bergen County Fair of 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. The fair will include a variety of races and is advertised to be the biggest event of the season.

This is a photograph of an advertisement for horse races in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ on May 30, 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. This particular event was part of a four day long celebration for Decoration Day.

This is a map created for the Bergen County Tax Board in 1930. The map includes main streets such as Racetrack Road, Warren Boulevard, Sherwood Road, Elmwood Avenue and Franklin Turnpike. The map lists Samuel Nagle as the owner of the property…

This is an advertisement for the sale of the Sylvan Lake Hotel in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. which was located on the western shoreline of the Lake. The hotel was once a place for tourists and visitors to stay overnight and the original meeting place of the…

This is a photograph of one of the mills that was once located in Ho-Ho-Kus along the brook. It is not specified which mill is in the photograph but it could be any one of the following: Rosencrantz Cotton Mill, Brookdale Bleachery, the Paper Mill…

Attached is a blue print of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Line Co. Headquarters. The drawing gives the reader a good idea of how the trolley lines operated. The Bergen County trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929. The Public…

This letter and general orders were written at the Van Allen House when George Washington and his army stayed there on July 14-15, 1777. These were written by George Washington.

The first one is a letter from Washington to the president of the…

This is a small example of one of the methods colonial girls were taught their ABCs. Colonial girls would take a piece of cloth and cross-stitch letters into it. This was a sort-of alphabet book. Girls were not expected to go to school and, given…

These five photos show the Van Allen House as it was in the early 20th century when it was called Vygeberg Farm, or Page Farm. The farm was owned by Edward Day Page who used it to make dairy products.

On the top left and top right are pictures…

This painting was done by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, an American painter from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. He was well known for a series of 78 historical paintings that portrayed the narrative of America from Christopher Columbus…

These two photos feature Robert Allen, who lived in the Van Allen House from 1936-1938 with his family. They left to go to Sussex County in New Jersey because the father found a job there. His mother, Dorothy Van Allen, was related to the Van Allen…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This is a photograph of downtown Ho-Ho-Kus; the time of the photograph is unknown. The pharmacy shown in the picture stands where the Miniature Golf Course was once located.

This is a picture that accompanied an article about the major flooding that occurred in late September to October of 1882 that led to the final destruction of the Zabriskie Dam and Sylvan Lake. During this flood at least five mill dams burst along…

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a photograph of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. headquarters located in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. When it was first built, this was the largest building in town. The trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929 allowing customers to…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

This picture shows the tools and the house that once belonged to Jno Mandigo, a blacksmith and farmer who lived in Oakland from 1822 to 1894. His home was at 266 Ramapo Valley Road. Jno was one of four blacksmiths who had a shop on Ramapo Valley…

The North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. Trolley car is depicted passing through Main St. in Allendale, N.J. on the same line that ran through Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J.

These newspaper clippings are from the October 7, 1882 edition of Harper's Weekly. The included photograph is of the front page of the Harper's Weekly edition about the flooding at Passaic Falls which caused many dams in Bergen County, including the…

In this photo you see the corner of a street. The lawn that you see is said to be the miniature golf course that once existed in the area that is present-day downtown Ho-Ho-Kus. The Miniature Golf Course operated between 1890 and 1901. The nearby…

This photograph is of Franklin Tpke., a County Road, and the Mansion House. The Mansion House was a property rented by Charles Estephes. This was a popular hang out spot in the 1890's since it was located near the Ho-Ho-Kus Brooke and the center of…

This 40 Cal. Double Barreled Derringer was found by Thomas McCaffrey on his bungalow on Bailey Ave, in Oakland, New Jersey. This gun comes from the 1840s and is hand-made with parts unique to the gun. It was never mass-produced. The term derringer…

This photo shows what the inside of a Colonial Era wall looked like. The wall was made with clay, straw and rough Blaster backed together with horse hair or pig bristle. It was then finished with plaster that was made from local lime stone with…

These three pictures show an inquisition document made in Bergen County, New Jersey on January 13th, 1779. The document talks about a case against a John Demot (Demott) who joined the British Army in 1776 or 1777, and was found guilty. The paper…

Here is a picture of Henry R. Hopper: Oakland’s last blacksmith, and a picture of his tools with a smaller picture of himself in the center of the piece of wood that holds the tools. His father and two older brothers were also blacksmiths, so…

This wallpaper was removed from the walls of the Van Allen House in 1976 when the house was undergoing evaluation to see if it could be restored. The wallpaper comes from the 1890s.

This is a post card made in 1911. Along with the post card there is a picture of the Van Allen House when it was the Vygeberg Farm. The post card was sent by a Miss D. B. Tracy to her daughter, Helen.

This is a picture of the present day Right of Way path that was once where the trolley tracks were located, specifically the area that is not covered in snow is likely exactly where the tracks were. The trolley stopped in East Paterson (Elmwood…

This is a picture of the portrait of Harry Gale McNomee with his mother, Cora L. McNomee. Harry was born in 1883, so the portrait was made when he was one year old. Mr. McNomee’s biggest contribution to the town of Oakland was in the role of fire…

The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn was originally owned by J.J. Zabriskie. Historians believe portions of the building were constructed before the Revolutionary War. The Inn has been open since 1790 as a bed and breakfast and is currently a five-star restaurant. …

This is a picture of the remains of the Zabriskie Dam. The dam allowed local industrial factories to harness power from the running river and it also created Sylvan Lake, a tourist attraction. John Zabriskie used brownstone to create a 50 foot high…

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Hermitage. The estate was originally owned by James Laroe and purchased by Elijah Rosengrant, later to be changed to Rosencrantz, in 1807 for $1,325. The Rosencrantz house was donated to the state in 1971…

This is a picture of a bullet pouch used by military infantrymen in the 1770s. This particularly one is called a Shoulder Cartridge Box. The pouch itself would rest on the soldier’s right side. It contained twenty to thirty bullets and other…

This is a photograph from one of the many automobile races held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The Track started racing automobiles in 1912. Races had become an attraction for the communities surrounding Ho-Ho-Kus and the track was the location for…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2