Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (116 total)

The Proprietary House served as the royal governor's home from 1764 through 1776. It was constructed by architect John Edward Pryor and first served as the home to Royal Governor Chief Justice Smyth. It was also the home of the last royal governor,…

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a black and white photograph of the Zabriskie house from around the year 1910. From 1906 to 1917 Paddy Burke owned the building and ran it as an inn.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

This is a photograph of the Sylvan Lake Hotel. This three story building located near the original train station at the top of Hollywood Avenue, was a hotel used by vacationers. This was also the original meeting house of the Ridgewood Free Masons.…

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century. The house is a Tudor Revival and was constructed in 1895.

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century. The home was purchased by Wilson in 1889. The home was constructed in 1836 and is a Tudor Revival.

The Proprietary House served as the royal governor's home from 1764 through 1776. It was constructed by architect John Edward Pryor and first served as the home to Royal Governor Chief Justice Smyth. It was also the home of the last royal governor,…

This is a photograph of one of the mills that was once located in Ho-Ho-Kus along the brook. It is not specified which mill is in the photograph but it could be any one of the following: Rosencrantz Cotton Mill, Brookdale Bleachery, the Paper Mill…

Attached is a blue print of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Line Co. Headquarters. The drawing gives the reader a good idea of how the trolley lines operated. The Bergen County trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929. The Public…

The Trenton House Hotel was constructed as a brick private residence in 1780. The structure was transformed in 1824 into a hotel with Georgian style architecture. Located in Trenton at 20-24 North Warren Street and 1-19 East Hanover Street the…

Woodrow Wilson resided at this home while he was a professor at Princeton University in the late 19th Century.

Located on the grounds of Princeton University, President Woodrow Wilson lived here while President of Princeton University. This Italianate Victorian mansion was built by architect John Notman in 1850. From 1879 until 1968 the building served as…

After his second term as President, Grover Cleveland purchased a house in Princeton in 1896. It was built by Robert F. Stockton in 1854 and is covered in yellow painted stucco. The home was referred to as “Westland Mansion” in honor of a friend…

The 22nd and 24th President was born on March 18, 1837 in a modest construction of Federal and Greek architecture. Built in 1832, the house was the residence of a local Presbyterian minister. The Cleveland family resided in the home for nearly a…

Built by actor Oliver Byron was a small structure made out of railroad ties. The ties were from the track laid for President Garfield’s trip from Elberon Train Station to a shore cottage after he was shot by Charles Guiteau. The teahouse now sits…

This Georgian style home built in the early 1770s in Morristown was owned by Jacob Ford Jr., an American Revolutionary militia officer. After his death, his widow, Theodosia, gave permission for George Washington to use the home as his headquarters…

Built by the mayor of “Elizabethtown” in 1750, Boxwood Hall was home to patriot and lawyer Elias Boudinot. On the way to New York City for his inauguration in 1789, President-elect George Washington stopped at the house. Other notable visitors…

This is a photograph of downtown Ho-Ho-Kus; the time of the photograph is unknown. The pharmacy shown in the picture stands where the Miniature Golf Course was once located.

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a photograph of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. headquarters located in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. When it was first built, this was the largest building in town. The trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929 allowing customers to…

This photograph is of Franklin Tpke., a County Road, and the Mansion House. The Mansion House was a property rented by Charles Estephes. This was a popular hang out spot in the 1890's since it was located near the Ho-Ho-Kus Brooke and the center of…

The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn was originally owned by J.J. Zabriskie. Historians believe portions of the building were constructed before the Revolutionary War. The Inn has been open since 1790 as a bed and breakfast and is currently a five-star restaurant. …

This photograph depicts one of the horse races at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack; the Grand Stand and Clubhouse for the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club are shown on the perimeter of the track. The Racetrack featured horse races from the time it was built in the…

For safety reasons, President Ulysses S. Grant’s wife and children resided at the house at 309 Wood Street in Burlington during the latter part of the Civil War. Built in 1856, it is currently a private residence.

Located in Long Branch, this is the only building associated with seven United States Presidents as their place of worship. Most popular during the Gilded Age, Presidents Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Chester A. Arthur,…

Metcalf’s landscapes were traditional renditions of peasant scenes, in the manner of Jean Millet (1814 – 1875). These works were characterized by visible, rapid brushstrokes which brought lightness to the composition. Moroccan Street…

This is the older building of today's of St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center on Main Street. The hospital is undergone a complete renovation and is still undergoing a $250 million expansion.

These are three of the four government buildings located on what is still referred to as Colt's Hill. The Post Office, now the Courthouse Annex, the original Passaic County Courthouse, and the Superior Court Building at 77 Hamilton Street. The newest…

This is the site of the Hinchliffe Brewery, located on Straight, Governor and Anne Streets. What is left of the original building is currently for sale.

This is the Hinchlife Brewery located at Straight and Governor Streets next to the Erie Railroad. The brewery was owned by the Hinchliffe family for generations.

This building was part of the Rogers Locomotive Complex. It is advertising Paterson's Silk Machinery Exchange. Over the course of Paterson's history, the mills and factories were occupied by various tenants at various times.

This picture was taken at Spruce and Market Streets, from the Middle Raceway. Most of the area was home to the Rogers Locomotive Complex. The parking lot used to house the rest of the Ivanhoe Paper Mill complex.

This is a picture taken at the Ivanhoe Wheelhouse, near the drop from the Upper Raceway. This is the last remaining structure of the ten buildings that Ivanhoe Paper consisted of.

The S.U.M. Building at the Great Falls, which housed the Society for Establishing Useful Manufacturers.

What is today a post office in Chester was a tavern frequented by miners during the Iron heyday.

The Paterson Silk Workers strike took place in 1913. Many of those who participated in the strike were arrested, possibly as many as 1,850 people. The City of Paterson experienced many strikes between the years of 1990 until 1913. This included…

The Chester Railroad Company was critical to the expansion of the iron industry in Chester. Stations such as this afforded both experienced and novice miners easy access to the thirty eight mines opened in the area.

The Miller's House is an excellent example of what was known as a Patch House. With the influx of miners as more shafts were opened, housing needed to be quickly provided. Patch Houses received their names due to the fact that they were quickly…

Though the present building was constructed in 1826 by Nathan Cooper, milling flour on this site had been going on since 1760 when Isaiah Younglove set up his milling operation there. The Black River area was ideal for mills because of the large…

This snapshot of Chester circa 1880 provides a look at daily life at the time before the first mine shafts were opened. We clearly see Chester's importance as a travel hub, as the stagecoach is waiting to either take on or let off passengers at the…

This is City National Bank on Springfield Avenue. In 1967, it was looted during the riots.

This area is now known for the community garden. In the 1960s, the area was known for its jewelry stores and banks.

These were the blueprints from Sentry Alliance Service shop on 350 Springfield Avenue in Newark.

Today, this building is part of the UMDNJ campus. It was once just City Hospital during the time of the Newark riots.

This is Boyd Street in Newark. It once contained the Hayes Home Projects.

This is the 4th Precinct today. It is on 17th Street in Newark. This is where the riots began officially with the arrest of John Smith for tailgating.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2