Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (65 total)

This photograph was taken at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack during a sporting event. Men and women are standing in the infield of the track and there are people on bicycles or motorcycles closer to the center of the infield.

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a black and white photograph of the Zabriskie house from around the year 1910. From 1906 to 1917 Paddy Burke owned the building and ran it as an inn.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

This is an advertisement for the four day long Bergen County Fair of 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. The fair will include a variety of races and is advertised to be the biggest event of the season.

This is a photograph of one of the mills that was once located in Ho-Ho-Kus along the brook. It is not specified which mill is in the photograph but it could be any one of the following: Rosencrantz Cotton Mill, Brookdale Bleachery, the Paper Mill…

Attached is a blue print of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Line Co. Headquarters. The drawing gives the reader a good idea of how the trolley lines operated. The Bergen County trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929. The Public…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This is a photograph of downtown Ho-Ho-Kus; the time of the photograph is unknown. The pharmacy shown in the picture stands where the Miniature Golf Course was once located.

This is a picture that accompanied an article about the major flooding that occurred in late September to October of 1882 that led to the final destruction of the Zabriskie Dam and Sylvan Lake. During this flood at least five mill dams burst along…

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

This picture shows the tools and the house that once belonged to Jno Mandigo, a blacksmith and farmer who lived in Oakland from 1822 to 1894. His home was at 266 Ramapo Valley Road. Jno was one of four blacksmiths who had a shop on Ramapo Valley…

This photograph is of Franklin Tpke., a County Road, and the Mansion House. The Mansion House was a property rented by Charles Estephes. This was a popular hang out spot in the 1890's since it was located near the Ho-Ho-Kus Brooke and the center of…

This typewriter belonged to Sidney Kingsley, a dramatist. Some of the plays he wrote include "Dead End," "Detective Story," "Men in White," and others. His first Broadway play, "Men in White," won him a Pulitzer. He and his wife, actress Madge…

Here is a picture of Henry R. Hopper: Oakland’s last blacksmith, and a picture of his tools with a smaller picture of himself in the center of the piece of wood that holds the tools. His father and two older brothers were also blacksmiths, so…

This photograph depicts one of the horse races at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack; the Grand Stand and Clubhouse for the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club are shown on the perimeter of the track. The Racetrack featured horse races from the time it was built in the…

These are three of the four government buildings located on what is still referred to as Colt's Hill. The Post Office, now the Courthouse Annex, the original Passaic County Courthouse, and the Superior Court Building at 77 Hamilton Street. The newest…

This is the Hinchlife Brewery located at Straight and Governor Streets next to the Erie Railroad. The brewery was owned by the Hinchliffe family for generations.

This building was part of the Rogers Locomotive Complex. It is advertising Paterson's Silk Machinery Exchange. Over the course of Paterson's history, the mills and factories were occupied by various tenants at various times.

This picture was taken at Spruce and Market Streets, from the Middle Raceway. Most of the area was home to the Rogers Locomotive Complex. The parking lot used to house the rest of the Ivanhoe Paper Mill complex.

This is a picture taken at the Ivanhoe Wheelhouse, near the drop from the Upper Raceway. This is the last remaining structure of the ten buildings that Ivanhoe Paper consisted of.

The Chester Furnace was the centerpiece of the iron mining industry in the area. Unlike other area furnaces, The Chester Furnace was state of the art. While other furnaces relied on charcoal, The Chester Furnace relied upon anthracite fuel, which…

Though the present building was constructed in 1826 by Nathan Cooper, milling flour on this site had been going on since 1760 when Isaiah Younglove set up his milling operation there. The Black River area was ideal for mills because of the large…

This is City National Bank on Springfield Avenue. In 1967, it was looted during the riots.

This is Branford place and Broad Street . In the 1960s, there was a beauty school which was destroyed by a fire.

This factory has had several different owners over the decades. It began life in 1844 the Van Doren Brothers built threashing machines for the area farms. Mine baron Daniel Budd housed Davidson Manufacturing in this building after the Civil War. The…

The location of Howell's General store, which served the townspeople, farmers and miners alike, is today a convenience store.

This ore sample was extracted from the Swayze Mine in nearby Roxbury, New Jersey. It is yet another example of the different types of ore found in Northern New Jersey available to the miners of Chester

Track guage is defined as the amount of distance between two railroad rails. The train's gear, or undercarriage, must be a compatible width and wheel size. In May of 1886 the Pennsylvania Railroad and the southern railroads agreed upon a national…

This is the old Engine #1 firehouse located at 112 Van Houten Street, Paterson. It is currently used as the workshop for Greenbaum Interiors, a furniture store on the next corner at Washington Street.

The Rivoli Theatre located at 126-134 Main Street. It was built in 1923. It was converted into stores after going out of business and burned down in 1972.

The former First National Bank on Ellison Street in Paterson now houses city offices. Among these is the Paterson Historic Preservation Commission.

This is a photograph of First National Bank, Paterson, taken from Washington Street in 1925. The buildings visible from this angle still stand!
This image was also used as a postcard.

This is the intersection of Main Street and Ellison Street, Paterson, 2013. These buildings have stood since the turn of the 20th century.

This is the intersection of Main and Ward Streets, Center City Mall, Paterson. This is located at the top of the area known as Colt's Hill.

This is the former location of the Quackenbush Department Store on Main Street, Paterson. The property is now used by several businesses, including Bank of America.

Quackenbush Department Store was one of the two major department stores in Downtown Paterson. It's owner also owned one of Paterson's silk mills. The original location was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1902. This building was erected soon after, and…

This is a view of East Railway Avenue in Paterson, 2013, looking towards Alabama Avenue. East Railway Avenue is the location of the Paterson Markets in the Lakeview Section. This photo was taken adjacent from the Giant Wholesale store.

This is a 1930's photograph of East Railway Avenue, Paterson. The trolley tracks are clearly visible.

This image depicts a miner at work in the mine. This image shows the structure of the zinc mines in Franklin.

This image depicts miners at work in the mine. This image creates a good visual of the working conditions that the zinc miners in Franklin had to deal with on an everyday basis.

This picture shows the housing that the Zinc Company of Franklin had established for its workers in Franklin,new Jersey. The housing was simple and functional but served the workers and their families. The base of these houses can still be seen in…

This image depicts a group of Hungarian miners presumably drinking after work. The workers are depicted with a keg and bottles in hand.

This is the official declaration of intent to renounce his Hungarian citizenship and become a citizen of the United States of America by Sandor Zsakoi. The document lists details including his date of birth, the name of his wife, her address in…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2