Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (208 total)

This is a view of Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home (center of the picture) in New Jersey from present-day Cooper Road. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or…

This is a photograph taken by J. Percy Crayon from an area of Denville formerly known as Pigeon Hill. It was taken outside of William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

The Memorial Stone resting on top of William Winds grave in the graveyard at the First Presbyterian Church in Rockaway, NJ. Worn due to weathering, the text was preserved in 1958 by Kensley Robert Thompson as a black wax rubbing which is on display…

This photograph was taken at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack during a sporting event. Men and women are standing in the infield of the track and there are people on bicycles or motorcycles closer to the center of the infield.

This is a drawing of the location of the Ho-Ho-Kus Golf Course and the approximate layout of nine hole course.

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a black and white photograph of the Zabriskie house from around the year 1910. From 1906 to 1917 Paddy Burke owned the building and ran it as an inn.

This is an old photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook. In the background of the picture is one of the industrial mills that was located on the creek.

This is a photograph of the Sylvan Lake Hotel. This three story building located near the original train station at the top of Hollywood Avenue, was a hotel used by vacationers. This was also the original meeting house of the Ridgewood Free Masons.…

This is a drawing of Ho-Ho-Kus as it appeared in 1876. It includes the names of land owners, large building names, the placement of the Railroad and Sylvan Lake.

In this photograph is one single car on the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In the background you see the part of the grandstand and structure where officials sat so they were able to better call the race.

This is a photograph of a horse race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The track was established in the early 1870's and continued to operate through until 1938. In 1912 the track started primarily featuring automobile races.

This is a photograph of an early trolley that passed through Ho-Ho-Kus. The trolley was operated by the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. which ran from 190 to 1929. The photograph is labeled 1910.

This is a photograph of a race that took place at a 1910 Horse Show at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In this picture, you are able to see the style of dress from the time period, some of the horses running, part of the grandstand and the official's…

In this photograph are four men with their horses at a horse show in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. Behind the men you see a structure that was probably used for the officials who called the race winners. The photograph is dated 1910.

This is a clipping of the July 5, 1935 New York Times article, "Flying Auto Wheel Kills Boy at Race." At the Ho-Ho-Kus 4th of July Celebration, a twelve year old boy from Fair Lawn, N.J. was killed by a rogue wheel that detached from a racing car's…

This is a clipping from the July 5, 1938 article from the New York Times. The event was a 4th of July celebration. This was the final race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack and the final accident that led to the eventual closing of the Racetrack.

An engraving of a mastodon tooth. The flat top of the tooth shows that the mastodon was a herbivore.

Wilbur Smith and Jules Marron examining Ribs that were dredged from the Hampton Township site.

Jules M. Marron and Denton J. Quick, freeholder, confirming the skull that was found at the Hampton township dig site.

Images of General William Winds' home as it stands today. It is now privately owned by the Cobb family. Most of the Winds house remains, but the Cobbs added a wraparound porch when they purchased it in 1908.

This document is included in Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, Series 1. Vol. VII. 1853-1855. The biography was read by Tuttle in front of the New Jersey Historical Society on May 19, 1853. The author painted a very complex image of…

This is a photograph taken inside General William Winds' home in the late nineteenth century. The photograph was probably taken by J. Percy Crayon, the owner of the house at the time. It includes a fireplace, several chairs, and tools.

Joseph Percy Crain (or Crane) was born in 1841, although it is uncertain where he was born. He moved to northern New Jersey at an early age and became a schoolteacher in the town of Rockaway (now - Denville) where he changed his last name to Crayon.…

This is the last will and testament from General William Winds. Winds was a soldier, judge, and Patriot. He was born on Long Island, but moved to Morris County, New Jersey sometime in his twenties. He bought a tract of land in present-day Denville…

This is a sketch of Rockaway from the Morris Canal in 1844. To the right is the First Presbyterian Church of Rockaway which was founded in 1752. The church's construction was funded by notable New Jerseyans including William Winds, a Revolutionary…

This is a map of Morris County from 1853. Note that the county only had 11 townships - Chester, Chatham, Hanover, Jefferson, Mendham, Morristown, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway, Roxbury, and Washington.

J. Percy Crayon was a schoolteacher and amateur historian from present-day Denville, New Jersey. In the late 19th century, he compiled a record of all the major founding families of Morris County. The book includes many important families,…

This is an advertisement for the four day long Bergen County Fair of 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. The fair will include a variety of races and is advertised to be the biggest event of the season.

This is a photograph of an advertisement for horse races in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ on May 30, 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. This particular event was part of a four day long celebration for Decoration Day.

This is the grave site of William Winds. Winds served the British Royal Army in the French and Indian War and took up the Patriots' cause in the American Revolution. He also served as a judge between wars and founded the First Presbyterian Church…

This is a map created for the Bergen County Tax Board in 1930. The map includes main streets such as Racetrack Road, Warren Boulevard, Sherwood Road, Elmwood Avenue and Franklin Turnpike. The map lists Samuel Nagle as the owner of the property…

This is an advertisement for the sale of the Sylvan Lake Hotel in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. which was located on the western shoreline of the Lake. The hotel was once a place for tourists and visitors to stay overnight and the original meeting place of the…

This is Revolutionary War general William Winds' original home in New Jersey. Historians have been able to place Winds in the area in his early twenties sometime in the late 1740s or early 1750s. The general later moved to present-day Randolph…

This is a photograph of one of the mills that was once located in Ho-Ho-Kus along the brook. It is not specified which mill is in the photograph but it could be any one of the following: Rosencrantz Cotton Mill, Brookdale Bleachery, the Paper Mill…

Attached is a blue print of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Line Co. Headquarters. The drawing gives the reader a good idea of how the trolley lines operated. The Bergen County trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929. The Public…

Created by Gutzon Borglum, the same artist and sculptor as Mount Rushmore, “Seated Lincoln” is a sculpture made of bronze. The piece shows Abraham Lincoln seated on a bench. Abraham Lincoln passed through Newark on February 21, 1861 en route to…

The 22nd and 24th President was born on March 18, 1837 in a modest construction of Federal and Greek architecture. Built in 1832, the house was the residence of a local Presbyterian minister. The Cleveland family resided in the home for nearly a…

This Georgian style home built in the early 1770s in Morristown was owned by Jacob Ford Jr., an American Revolutionary militia officer. After his death, his widow, Theodosia, gave permission for George Washington to use the home as his headquarters…

This letter and general orders were written at the Van Allen House when George Washington and his army stayed there on July 14-15, 1777. These were written by George Washington.

The first one is a letter from Washington to the president of the…

This is a small example of one of the methods colonial girls were taught their ABCs. Colonial girls would take a piece of cloth and cross-stitch letters into it. This was a sort-of alphabet book. Girls were not expected to go to school and, given…

These five photos show the Van Allen House as it was in the early 20th century when it was called Vygeberg Farm, or Page Farm. The farm was owned by Edward Day Page who used it to make dairy products.

On the top left and top right are pictures…

This painting was done by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, an American painter from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. He was well known for a series of 78 historical paintings that portrayed the narrative of America from Christopher Columbus…

These two photos feature Robert Allen, who lived in the Van Allen House from 1936-1938 with his family. They left to go to Sussex County in New Jersey because the father found a job there. His mother, Dorothy Van Allen, was related to the Van Allen…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This is a photograph of downtown Ho-Ho-Kus; the time of the photograph is unknown. The pharmacy shown in the picture stands where the Miniature Golf Course was once located.

This is a picture that accompanied an article about the major flooding that occurred in late September to October of 1882 that led to the final destruction of the Zabriskie Dam and Sylvan Lake. During this flood at least five mill dams burst along…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2