Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (17 total)

This letter and general orders were written at the Van Allen House when George Washington and his army stayed there on July 14-15, 1777. These were written by George Washington.

The first one is a letter from Washington to the president of the…

This is a small example of one of the methods colonial girls were taught their ABCs. Colonial girls would take a piece of cloth and cross-stitch letters into it. This was a sort-of alphabet book. Girls were not expected to go to school and, given…

These five photos show the Van Allen House as it was in the early 20th century when it was called Vygeberg Farm, or Page Farm. The farm was owned by Edward Day Page who used it to make dairy products.

On the top left and top right are pictures…

This painting was done by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, an American painter from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. He was well known for a series of 78 historical paintings that portrayed the narrative of America from Christopher Columbus…

These two photos feature Robert Allen, who lived in the Van Allen House from 1936-1938 with his family. They left to go to Sussex County in New Jersey because the father found a job there. His mother, Dorothy Van Allen, was related to the Van Allen…

This is a news article that appeared on February 6, 1974 in the Suburban News that discusses the plan to renovate the Van Allen House. Along with the article is a medal commemorating the Oakland Historical Society's President at that time, Roy…

This typewriter belonged to Sidney Kingsley, a dramatist. Some of the plays he wrote include "Dead End," "Detective Story," "Men in White," and others. His first Broadway play, "Men in White," won him a Pulitzer. He and his wife, actress Madge…

This 40 Cal. Double Barreled Derringer was found by Thomas McCaffrey on his bungalow on Bailey Ave, in Oakland, New Jersey. This gun comes from the 1840s and is hand-made with parts unique to the gun. It was never mass-produced. The term derringer…

This photo shows what the inside of a Colonial Era wall looked like. The wall was made with clay, straw and rough Blaster backed together with horse hair or pig bristle. It was then finished with plaster that was made from local lime stone with…

These three pictures show an inquisition document made in Bergen County, New Jersey on January 13th, 1779. The document talks about a case against a John Demot (Demott) who joined the British Army in 1776 or 1777, and was found guilty. The paper…

Here is a picture of Henry R. Hopper: Oakland’s last blacksmith, and a picture of his tools with a smaller picture of himself in the center of the piece of wood that holds the tools. His father and two older brothers were also blacksmiths, so…

This wallpaper was removed from the walls of the Van Allen House in 1976 when the house was undergoing evaluation to see if it could be restored. The wallpaper comes from the 1890s.

This is a post card made in 1911. Along with the post card there is a picture of the Van Allen House when it was the Vygeberg Farm. The post card was sent by a Miss D. B. Tracy to her daughter, Helen.

This is a picture of the portrait of Harry Gale McNomee with his mother, Cora L. McNomee. Harry was born in 1883, so the portrait was made when he was one year old. Mr. McNomee’s biggest contribution to the town of Oakland was in the role of fire…

This is a picture of a bullet pouch used by military infantrymen in the 1770s. This particularly one is called a Shoulder Cartridge Box. The pouch itself would rest on the soldier’s right side. It contained twenty to thirty bullets and other…

This is a picture of a canteen from the 1770s. This particularly canteen is made of tin, and both the American and British military infantrymen had this during the time period. However, the tin canteens became rare because the British were…

These two photos show the exterior of the Van Allen House, one of Oakland’s oldest surviving buildings. Originally built in the 1740s by Henry Van Allen, the house received modifications to it when Edward Day Page brought the house in the late…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2