Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (36 total)

This photograph was taken at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack during a sporting event. Men and women are standing in the infield of the track and there are people on bicycles or motorcycles closer to the center of the infield.

This is a drawing of the location of the Ho-Ho-Kus Golf Course and the approximate layout of nine hole course.

The Proprietary House served as the royal governor's home from 1764 through 1776. It was constructed by architect John Edward Pryor and first served as the home to Royal Governor Chief Justice Smyth. It was also the home of the last royal governor,…

This is a photograph of the Mansion House, now the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern. The building when under this name between 1890 and 1906 when operated under the control of Charles Estephes and his wife.

The Zabriskie House was renamed the Mansion House in 1890 when it was run and operated by Charles Estephes and his wife. The inn was a popular location for socializing before and after events at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack.

This is a black and white photograph of the Zabriskie house from around the year 1910. From 1906 to 1917 Paddy Burke owned the building and ran it as an inn.

This is a photograph of the Sylvan Lake Hotel. This three story building located near the original train station at the top of Hollywood Avenue, was a hotel used by vacationers. This was also the original meeting house of the Ridgewood Free Masons.…

In this photograph is one single car on the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In the background you see the part of the grandstand and structure where officials sat so they were able to better call the race.

This is a photograph of a horse race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The track was established in the early 1870's and continued to operate through until 1938. In 1912 the track started primarily featuring automobile races.

This is a photograph of an early trolley that passed through Ho-Ho-Kus. The trolley was operated by the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. which ran from 190 to 1929. The photograph is labeled 1910.

This is a photograph of a race that took place at a 1910 Horse Show at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. In this picture, you are able to see the style of dress from the time period, some of the horses running, part of the grandstand and the official's…

In this photograph are four men with their horses at a horse show in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. Behind the men you see a structure that was probably used for the officials who called the race winners. The photograph is dated 1910.

This is a clipping of the July 5, 1935 New York Times article, "Flying Auto Wheel Kills Boy at Race." At the Ho-Ho-Kus 4th of July Celebration, a twelve year old boy from Fair Lawn, N.J. was killed by a rogue wheel that detached from a racing car's…

This is a clipping from the July 5, 1938 article from the New York Times. The event was a 4th of July celebration. This was the final race at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack and the final accident that led to the eventual closing of the Racetrack.

The Proprietary House served as the royal governor's home from 1764 through 1776. It was constructed by architect John Edward Pryor and first served as the home to Royal Governor Chief Justice Smyth. It was also the home of the last royal governor,…

This is a photograph of an advertisement for horse races in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ on May 30, 1885 hosted by the Bergen County Agricultural Society. This particular event was part of a four day long celebration for Decoration Day.

This is a map created for the Bergen County Tax Board in 1930. The map includes main streets such as Racetrack Road, Warren Boulevard, Sherwood Road, Elmwood Avenue and Franklin Turnpike. The map lists Samuel Nagle as the owner of the property…

This is an advertisement for the sale of the Sylvan Lake Hotel in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. which was located on the western shoreline of the Lake. The hotel was once a place for tourists and visitors to stay overnight and the original meeting place of the…

Attached is a blue print of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Line Co. Headquarters. The drawing gives the reader a good idea of how the trolley lines operated. The Bergen County trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929. The Public…

This is an advertisement for the Third Annual Fair of the Bergen County Agricultural Association that was held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack on September 13-16, 1881. In addition to the festivities, the Agricultural Association advertises the presence…

This is a photograph of the Ho-Ho-Kus Driving Club that shows the Clubhouse and Grand Stand in Ho-Ho-Kus. The track was built in 1870 by the Bergen County Agricultural Association and used for county fairs, horse racing, later automobile racing and…

This is a photograph of the North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. headquarters located in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. When it was first built, this was the largest building in town. The trolley lines ran through Ho-Ho-Kus between 1910 and 1929 allowing customers to…

This is a transcription of an interview with Mr. Carpenter. Carpenter moved to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1916. He was being interviewed on the history of Ho-Ho-Kus during the 1900's. In this section, Carpenter mentions the Miniature Golf Course that was once…

The North Jersey Rapid Transit Co. Trolley car is depicted passing through Main St. in Allendale, N.J. on the same line that ran through Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J.

This is a post card made in 1911. Along with the post card there is a picture of the Van Allen House when it was the Vygeberg Farm. The post card was sent by a Miss D. B. Tracy to her daughter, Helen.

This is a picture of the present day Right of Way path that was once where the trolley tracks were located, specifically the area that is not covered in snow is likely exactly where the tracks were. The trolley stopped in East Paterson (Elmwood…

The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn was originally owned by J.J. Zabriskie. Historians believe portions of the building were constructed before the Revolutionary War. The Inn has been open since 1790 as a bed and breakfast and is currently a five-star restaurant. …

This is a picture of the remains of the Zabriskie Dam. The dam allowed local industrial factories to harness power from the running river and it also created Sylvan Lake, a tourist attraction. John Zabriskie used brownstone to create a 50 foot high…

This is a photograph from one of the many automobile races held at the Ho-Ho-Kus Racetrack. The Track started racing automobiles in 1912. Races had become an attraction for the communities surrounding Ho-Ho-Kus and the track was the location for…

These two photos show the exterior of the Van Allen House, one of Oakland’s oldest surviving buildings. Originally built in the 1740s by Henry Van Allen, the house received modifications to it when Edward Day Page brought the house in the late…

This document listed as form number 228 is a Declaration of Intention (An Alien about to Depart). The form lists the place and date of birth, occupation, purpose of travel, and destination of Josef Szabo. The form also lists references who presumably…

This document was issued and signed by the American Consulate Mission in Budapest, Hungary. The document signed by Josef Szabo attests to his understanding of the Immigration Act of February 1917, and his swearing to obey the laws and authorities of…

This is the official declaration of intent to renounce his Hungarian citizenship and become a citizen of the United States of America by Sandor Zsakoi. The document lists details including his date of birth, the name of his wife, her address in…

The image shows the boardwalk of Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1922. Advertisers started to promote and market their products on the boardwalk to increase popularity of their brand and products. The main advertiser displayed in this image is an…

The image shows the booming tourism of Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1920. Advertisers started to promote and market their products on the boardwalk to increase popularity of their brand and products. Advertisers displayed in this image…

A photograph taken by Clifton Adams of the Atlantic City Boardwalk to depict the pageantry of Atlantic City in a single picture. The Boardwalk was considered to be a "living, breathing catwalk" in the 1920s. Tourists and citizens of Atlantic City,…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2