Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Bell of the USS Princeton

Dublin Core

Title

Bell of the USS Princeton

Description

The last existing piece from the U.S.S. Princeton hangs from a wooden frame in front of the Princeton Borough Hall. On February 28, 1844 President John Tyler and other dignitaries were onboard while the ship was sailing on the Potomac River in Washington DC. During a demonstration, one of the cannons aboard the ship exploded. The President was unharmed but others were killed and injured.

Creator

Freimuth, Michael R.

Date

2014-03-08

Contributor

Freimuth, Michael R.

Rights

For permission to use this photograph, contact Michael R. Freimuth at freimuthm@student.wpunj.edu

Format

JPG

Language

English

Type

Still Image

Coverage

1840s
Princeton
Mercer County

Scripto

Transcription

The Princeton Bell

(One of the very few relics left
of the famous war vessel)

This bell was especially cast for the U.S.S. Princeton, which was commanded by our late fellow-townsman, the illustrious Captain Robert F. Stockton, under whose patronage “The Princeton” was built. On February 28th, 1844, she was taken for a pleasure trip down the Potomac River, having on board President Tyler and his cabinet and other distinguished guests, invited by Captain Stockton to witness the performance of the vessel and her machinery. One of the guns, called “The Peacemaker” exploded, injuring many people, among them Captain Stockton himself, and killing Hon. Abel P. Upshur, Secretary of State, Thomas W. Gilmer, Secretary of the Navy, Captain Beverly Kennon, of the Navy, Virgil Maxcy, and Colonel David Gardner.

By special invitation of Captain Stockton the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Princeton attended the launching of “The Princeton” on Thursday, September 7, 1843.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Color Image

Geolocation