Trenton House Hotel
The Trenton House Hotel was constructed as a brick private residence in 1780. The structure was transformed in 1824 into a hotel with Georgian style architecture. Located in Trenton at 20-24 North Warren Street and 1-19 East Hanover Street the hotel became one of the most famous hotels in the 19th Century. The Marquis de Lafayette stayed at the Trenton House Hotel in September 1824 as part of his grand tour of the United States. President-elect Abraham Lincoln stopped at the hotel in February 1861 while en route to Washington, D.C. for his inauguration. While staying at the hotel Lincoln was greeted with a reception and addressed a crowd from the balcony. In 1987 the structure was demolished in order to make room for new commercial buildings.
Historic American Buildings Survey
Freimuth, Michael R.
No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government.
Still Image Item Type Metadata
Black and White Image
4 x 5 in.